Flat top recommendation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tadmaz

Minister of Fire
Dec 21, 2017
Erin, WI
I've got an old cheapo grill that won't last much longer. It's very trendy to get a flat top these days. It does sound cool to do cheesesteaks and Mongolian. Most folks get a Blackstone. I felt up a Blackstone at Ace, it seemed too flimsy. Anyone have any experience with Camp Chef's? It comes with grill grates if I want to do brats for example. Any other brands to look at? This group seems to have the best knowledge and expertise of all the internet. Thanks in advance.

I have gone down that path. At the end of the day I didn’t see the flat top cooking food that often. I have a habit of rehoming discarded grill. Most just need a new burner or deflectors or grates. I have almost decade of not buying a new grill under my belt till this month. I decided to splurge on a kamado Joe. Grill, smoke bake pizza. want a flattop. You have choice of cast iron or soapstone. Now I got the big 24” series one. Not cheap. Might not do a huge amount of breakfast at once but. It’s party sized and very versatile. I also have a really big wok and wok burner. Wok will work on the Big Joe too.

I looked at the camp chef in person and got the similar flimsy feeling while not cool the electric countertop griddles really have the same flattop function. I have two and use both at the same time when I want to crank out food fast.

That said if didn’t have a really big wok to make huge portions of fried rice I probably would have a flattop. I won’t give up on my gas grill it’s just to fast and convenient for quick meals. I could have cooked the entire meal last on on gas before the charcoal was even ready. But I wanted to give it a shot.

The only advantage I see of a flattop is the easier and variable temp control.

How many adults do you want to cook for on the flattop?

If I wanted to wow a party crowd I’d get several table top hibachis.

Evan

Thanks for your thoughts, especially saving me a trip to look at a flimsy camp chef. I have a cheapo non-stick griddle (link below) that is probably worth trying out for mongolian and cheesesteaks. My current grill has an issue with the middle burner not working properly on high. Overall it's still kicking and the burners aren't too rusted yet.

Amazon product ASIN B000JLHGI4

Thanks for your thoughts, especially saving me a trip to look at a flimsy camp chef. I have a cheapo non-stick griddle (link below) that is probably worth trying out for mongolian and cheesesteaks. My current grill has an issue with the middle burner not working properly on high. Overall it's still kicking and the burners aren't too rusted yet.

Amazon product ASIN B000JLHGI4
I think a big cast iron griddle for the grill would be a good place to start. The electric ones are all aluminum and don’t hold their heat well when really loaded up. I was looking for a countertop 240v flattop and man they were expensive!!!!

I agree with @EbS-P , a fundamental question is how many people are you cooking for?

I have a 17" Lodge cast iron round griddle for use on my medium (22") Webber kettles over charcoal that meets my needs with just the wife and me at home, but if all 4 kids moved back home tomorrow I would be scrambling.

I really like my multilayer pans for the indoor kitchen, but I also really like cast iron for open fire/ charcoal. Aluminum is not my favorite cooking surface.

I do agree gas is fast.

I rebuilt our Weber last summer. It was surprisingly easy once I got into it. Parts were readily available and Weber's support is excellent. They sent me a free ignitor even though the old one was just out of warranty. I haven't tried flattop in it yet, except for a pizza stone before we got the Ooni.