Flaws in my plan?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IF! IF! IF!
If in one hand and sh*t in the the other, see which one fills up first!
First thought?...Shoulda left that nc30 in here!

Chances are alot better of that maybe-someday-buck working OK on a 6" than the soon to be nc 30 working worth a crap on a 8"! Get a 6" and don't look back!
And Hogz is right, the 6" will have the stronger draft of the two...Smaller diameter = higher draft velocities = warmer chimney = stronger draft!

A 8" pipe will work better on reloads.
The cross section is way bigger.

I guess Bk and Buck have no clue about stoves.

Edit. I understand manufacturers recommendation but my compromise is a proper running 30 an easier install and cheaper price tag. If I were cutting some safety corners then I would hold off but I'm thinking and reading that 6" should perform great

The blunt answers are what I needed to hear brothers! No dancing around gonna stick with it. Just got off the phone with hd . Was impressed they took my military discount over phone. But the NC-30 has been ordered! Now gotta wait a bit for liner order which will probably be flex king . What's your thoughts on regular vs pro and terra cotta top plate vs deluxe top plate? Thankyou all for your time and opinions. I hope to be heating my house to higher temps and less wood within the next two weeks!

Yeah. Remember that these things were designed for a 15'-16' chimney from the floor to the sky. I burn the 30-NC half in the fireplace with a 21' 5.5" liner and the main concern is sucking a split up the flue.

Your main concern with a 30 in the fireplace is that you won't be able to get to the blower in the back of the stove for maintenance or replacement. And as with an insert to get max heat out of that fireplace the blower is needed. That and figuring in how much space you need back there for it.

Deluxe terra cotta top plate is the only way to go. Those things are da bomb. Wish I had done them on my two flues in the first place instead of waiting two years to finally do them.

I was thinking clearance shouldn't bee to big of an issue considering it is sitting 1/2 in the fireplace (rear clearance) blower I'm going to jus leave on and plug in when needed for power. I am really hoping that roxul ,block plate, and a free stadinf stove sticking 1/2 in 1/2 out maybe I can get away with less blower useage deluxe an easy swap down the road if I go with regular? On budget right now . Atleast my madness of a stove is done until the insert replaces haha. Also does the nch-30 have that gold trim or is it all black?

Edit. I understand manufacturers recommendation but my compromise is a proper running 30 an easier install and cheaper price tag. If I were cutting some safety corners then I would hold off but I'm thinking and reading that 6" should perform great

The blunt answers are what I needed to hear brothers! No dancing around gonna stick with it. Just got off the phone with hd . Was impressed they took my military discount over phone. But the NC-30 has been ordered! Now gotta wait a bit for liner order which will probably be flex king . What's your thoughts on regular vs pro and terra cotta top plate vs deluxe top plate? Thankyou all for your time and opinions. I hope to be heating my house to higher temps and less wood within the next two weeks!

Well they said what you wanted to hear.
You will have a great setup with the 30 no doubt.
Maybe everything will work ok if and when you switch to a Buck. Good luck.

I was thinking clearance shouldn't bee to big of an issue considering it is sitting 1/2 in the fireplace (rear clearance) blower I'm going to jus leave on and plug in when needed for power. I am really hoping that roxul ,block plate, and a free stadinf stove sticking 1/2 in 1/2 out maybe I can get away with less blower useage deluxe an easy swap down the road if I go with regular? On budget right now . Atleast my madness of a stove is done until the insert replaces haha. Also does the nch-30 have that gold trim or is it all black?

The gold trim pops right off if you don't like it.

Reactions: tjcole50
I guess Bk and Buck have no clue about stoves.

So now you're going to pout because everyone isn't falling into the BK line behind you. You're like a broken record, and I don't think your "contributions" to this thread have been particularly useful...more of a pestering distraction. Our purpose hear is to facilitate a proper, safe, and efficient stove installation. Our purpose here is NOT to try to sell everyone on our favorite appliance.

So now you're going to pout because everyone isn't falling into the BK line behind you. You're like a broken record, and I don't think your "contributions" to this thread have been particularly useful...more of a pestering distraction. Our purpose hear is to facilitate a proper, safe, and efficient stove installation. Our purpose here is NOT to try to sell everyone on our favorite appliance.

He wanted to know if he used a 6" flue if that would be ok on a Buck .
I did not try to push a BK on him at all.

I still believe if he did get a Buck later it would run better with a 8" pipe..that is all.

You should read his first post again maybe?

Now now lol everyone has brought up valid points and great advice to a first time installer here and I thank everyone for putting up with my chaotic posts regarding what stove to buy and what to do. Just glad I got my woman talked into saving 2500$ right now that we could use on other projects ! I will posts pics and I will be back come time for an insert :)

We'll be here if there is anything we can contribute.

As I said, there are some here you need to take with a grain of a salt.
An 8" flue is the one that is going to draft like shat on a stove with a 6" outlet. Can it be done, some on here have, and it works for them, others have smoke spillage and poor/weaker draft due to the larger piping or liner.
The gentleman stated he was getting a 30, and it calls for a 6" liner. Putting that thing on a 8" liner is just starting off wrong, and asking for shat for draft, and setting himself up to be very unhappy. And quite frankly, is exactly going to cause the smoke spillage that is being claimed that a 6" will cause on an 8" outlet.
There are quite a few on here that have a stove with an 8" outlet with a 6" liner, and more than not, have a very good draft, with no smoke issues.
Smaller diameter increases draft, larger decreases draft.

Who let the troll back in? Shame on you.
Oh well, looking forward to yet 2000 more posts from Mr. Wonderful and the many photos of that hand held temp meter.

As I said, there are some here you need to take with a grain of a salt.
An 8" flue is the one that is going to draft like shat on a stove with a 6" outlet. Can it be done, some on here have, and it works for them, others have smoke spillage and poor/weaker draft due to the larger piping or liner.
The gentleman stated he was getting a 30, and it calls for a 6" liner. Putting that thing on a 8" liner is just starting off wrong, and asking for shat for draft, and setting himself up to be very unhappy. And quite frankly, is exactly going to cause the smoke spillage that is being claimed that a 6" will cause on an 8" outlet.
There are quite a few on here that have a stove with an 8" outlet with a 6" liner, and more than not, have a very good draft, with no smoke issues.
Smaller diameter increases draft, larger decreases draft.

Who let the troll back in? Shame on you.
Oh well, looking forward to yet 2000 more posts from Mr. Wonderful and the many photos of that hand held temp meter.

I think all that was uncalled for.

He was asking if it would be ok to use the 6 on the buck latter.
That was all i was commenting on.
For sure the 6 on the 30 is the way to go.
But he was wondering if the 6 would be ok latter on the Buck and I"m just saying Buck and BK and others put that 8 there for a reason or 3 ..that is all.
Mostly so you don't get smoke at reload on a big box.
It's about volume.

Please continue learning, and stop talking from you arse.
As I said, smaller diameter = more/stronger draft.
Larger diameter = less/weaker draft.
Why do you think the larger diameter 8" is cooler on your stove? Because of the 1500+ degree cat that is dumping into it?
Let me give you a hint......Larger diameter = less/weaker draft, and cooler flue.
Now, please STFU and GFY, and crawl back into your everything BK thread and save you poor BS for those can can tolerate you.

Oh and BTW, your getting exactly what you have been asking for.
But unlike what you want, I won't keep feeding you BS game after this post.

Please continue learning, and stop talking from you arse.
As I said, smaller diameter = more/stronger draft.
Larger diameter = less/weaker draft.
Why do you think the larger diameter 8" is cooler on your stove? Because of the 1500+ degree cat that is dumping into it?
Let me give you a hint......Larger diameter = less/weaker draft, and cooler flue.
Now, please STFU and GFY, and crael back into your everything BK thread and save you poor BS for those can can tolerate you.

Oh really so Buck and Bk has it wrong saying the stove should have a 8" pipe???

Oh really so Buck and Bk has it wrong saying the stove should have a 8" pipe???

What Blaze King actually says is:

"NEVER use a chimney or chimney connector smaller then the stove exhaust, unless
approved by your local inspector."

Reactions: Hogwildz
Status
Not open for further replies.