Flex Fuel Installs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pologuy9906

Aug 19, 2013
Connecticut
Good morning. To all the Flex Fuel owners, can you post or send to me directly, pictures. I'll start my install next week. I really would want to see what others have done.

Any others that don't have Flex Fuels feel free to post or send. I get great ideas and avoid mistakes seeing what others have. I'm excited and want this to go well. Took 2 years to make this decision.

What is a flex fuel unit? Never even seen flex fuel around here, and most cars have a flex fuel symbol on them.

Nice looking unit. I've seen Newmac up in Canada that has a unit that burns cordwood/coal/pellets/oil/gas in one unit

Nice looking unit. I've seen Newmac up in Canada that has a unit that burns cordwood/coal/pellets/oil/gas in one unit

I don't think Newmac makes anything that heats water with wood, cleanly, though. Unless it's a recent thing.

if I remember correctly that woodmaster flex fuel is NOT pressurized, and they don't call that out as an advantage but seem to obscure it.

It is a mid 70's efficency on wood and mid 80's on oil. It is EPA certified so it somewhat clean burning

http://www.newmacfurnaces.com/index.php/homeowners-products-3/combinationboiler

I didn't see on their site any efficiency ratings for wood. Maybe I missed it? Also didn't see mention of EPA stuff.

I did consider this boiler when I was making my changes. It is built local to me, and is about the best you could likely get in a 'conventional dirty burner'. But it is still a water jacketed boiler with no secondary refractory chamber to get the burn temps you need for clean burning.

I think it was also more $$ than my gasser. So I took a chance, swung for the fence, & went for the gasser. And very glad I did. You could get into the Newmac for less $$ than a gassifier if you didn't do storage - but I would incorprate storage with any wood burning boiler, gasser or not.

Reactions: GS7
I didn't see on their site any efficiency ratings for wood. Maybe I missed it? Also didn't see mention of EPA stuff..

Solid Fuel Features include:
Average Wood Output 160,000btu/h
CSA B415.1 Approved

Efficiency 73.1% (L.H.V.)

I did consider this boiler when I was making my changes. It is built local to me, and is about the best you could likely get in a 'conventional dirty burner'. But it is still a water jacketed boiler with no secondary refractory chamber to get the burn temps you need for clean burning.

I think it was also more $$ than my gasser. So I took a chance, swung for the fence, & went for the gasser. And very glad I did. You could get into the Newmac for less $$ than a gassifier if you didn't do storage - but I would incorprate storage with any wood burning boiler, gasser or not.

True.... I was really just referencing the flex fuel factor as well as it can be adapted to burn pellets. That's a positive. It does have drawbacks as you said. Sorry all this really doesn't pertain to the OP.

Don't mind the unpressurized system. Just keep an eye on the expansion tanks and cap off as necessary. I love the idea of switching from wood to pellet with such ease. Also like the effeciency of the unit. I've talked to a few people who have them and they couldn't be more happy. Vedolux was my second choice. I'm excited and anxious. Should be in my basement by the end of next week.

Any recommendations on piping directly off the boiler? Either black pipe or copper

Don't mind the unpressurized system. Just keep an eye on the expansion tanks and cap off as necessary. I love the idea of switching from wood to pellet with such ease. Also like the effeciency of the unit. I've talked to a few people who have them and they couldn't be more happy. Vedolux was my second choice. I'm excited and anxious. Should be in my basement by the end of next week.

Any recommendations on piping directly off the boiler? Either black pipe or copper

http://www.woodmaster.com/flexfuel.php

It's a gasification boiler. I like it's flexibility to burn cord wood, pellets and chips. A few people have them up here. Just trying to view as many installs as possible.

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/gridbegone/

What is a flex fuel unit? Never even seen flex fuel around here, and most cars have a flex fuel symbol on them.

That Woodmaster Flex fuel appears to be very impressive. I'll let you know in a few weeks when my 30kw arrives. The technology is licensed from the Austrian company Solar Focus. The Woodmaster Flex fuel is the made in America version of the European Solar Focus Therminator 2. The Flex fuel tops the EPA list for hydronic heater efficiency http://www.epa.gov/burnwise/owhhlist.html
The unit is Non pressurized which is no issue for me at all. I like the track record. Can't wait until this unit arrives for a hands on review.

Status
Not open for further replies.