flex liner adaptor?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
So, I got the new smooth-wall flex liner installed and the stove finally in place. The chimney sweep who did the liner install left me a telescoping stovepipe and a few shorter sections to make up the required length, but try as I might, I don't think there's any way this stovepipe is going to fit over this smooth-wall flex liner. Seems all of the various stovepipe segments are 6.0" +/- one sheetmetal thickness at the connectors, and this flex liner is more like 6.2" OD. I assume there's some sort of adaptor the guy forgot to leave behind?

I checked the other chimney on my old stove, where he also installed a smooth-wall flex liner, although there he was making use of an existing clay tile and block-off plate. He has some sort of collar below the block-off plate, the stovepipe running up INSIDE that collar, and gasket rope packed around it.

I don't think there's any way this stovepipe is going to fit over this smooth-wall flex line

I am not sure what you are exactly trying to do? Are you trying to extend the liner? or run stove pipe? Seems like the liner is already installed and you want to run stove pipe. This pipe he left you is designed for the thimble, the horizontal part coming thru the wall. It just slides in and out.

If you are trying to use this to extend the liner, I don't think this is what you are trying to do but the male end of the pipe should slide right into the liner. Secure it with screws.

I am not sure what you are trying to do for sure either. Stove or insert? Some pics would help. You probably need something like this
5co-21058-xlg.jpg

Sorry guys... free-stander in a big old fireplace. Flex liner run down thru block-off plate, ends 9 feet above floor. Single wall 6" stove pipe from stove up to liner. Yep, I figured the appliance adaptor was the key, but was thrown off by the name and description, as well as the crimped pipe end. Looks almost like the intent of that thing is for those who want to skip stove pipe altogether, running the liner right to the stove.

Here's the install story: https://www.hearth.com/talk/index.php?threads/Old-fireplace.88498/

You do not want stove pipe in the chimney as the liner. Why not buy a flex liner coupler and run the liner to the top of the stove? That would be safer than stove pipe.

. . .Yep, I figured the appliance adaptor was the key, but was thrown off by the name and description, as well as the crimped pipe end. Looks almost like the intent of that thing is for those who want to skip stove pipe altogether, running the liner right to the stove. . .
Yeah, the name does imply that intent, but the function of reducing the diameter is the same, regardless of what it's plugging into. Basically, it puts a male end on the liner.

You do not want stove pipe in the chimney as the liner. Why not buy a flex liner coupler and run the liner to the top of the stove? That would be safer than stove pipe.

Look at the link in his post for a pic of the fireplace.

So, I got the new smooth-wall flex liner installed and the stove finally in place. The chimney sweep who did the liner install left me a telescoping stovepipe and a few shorter sections to make up the required length, but try as I might, I don't think there's any way this stovepipe is going to fit over this smooth-wall flex liner. Seems all of the various stovepipe segments are 6.0" +/- one sheetmetal thickness at the connectors, and this flex liner is more like 6.2" OD. I assume there's some sort of adaptor the guy forgot to leave behind?

I checked the other chimney on my old stove, where he also installed a smooth-wall flex liner, although there he was making use of an existing clay tile and block-off plate. He has some sort of collar below the block-off plate, the stovepipe running up INSIDE that collar, and gasket rope packed around it.

Ya need one of these. Butter the top end with furnace cement and put in three screws and it ain't gonna let anything run down.

http://www.hartshearth.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=5740

Thanks, guys! Bart, why do you like the male coupling over the appliance adaptor? Just a cleaner / more permanent install?

This place is awesome.

When it comes to flex I thought it was code to have a band like the appliance adapter? I have used this to connect flex to flex before, I am sure it would would just as well with flex to singlewall.

lintolinconnectorlg.jpg

"This dripless female to male chimney flex chimney lining connector / couple connects flex to almost anything. Smooth butt welded seam allows for an air tight connection A great item to have on the job site."

http://www.rockfordchimneysupply.com/round_components.php

If you can find an appliance adapter that will fit over the double wall and into the single wall pipe it is the ideal. Failing that the male to male will do the job fine and will have the same life as the single wall it is attached to.

Heh... according to their website, Lowes seems to stock those male-to-male adaptors in 5" and 8" diameters, but not 6". Go figure...

Guess I'll be ordering parts and waiting!

The installer returned my call this evening, and said he just crimps the end of the liner down to fit the ID of the stovepipe end bell. Slip the stovepipe over the crimped liner end, and run in four stainless screws. Sounds easy enough, as I already have the tool... good way to go? Only down side I can imagine is the screws may be prone to tear out of the liner if the upper part of the stovepipe were ever allowed to hang from the liner.

I can imagine is the screws may be prone to tear out of the liner
Exactly the problem. Will it work with just screws? sure. Are there betters ways of attaching the liner to the stove pipe? absolutely. The appliance connector is the way to go. No need to worry about the liner ripping. That is what the connector is for, or else you would just stick the liner into the top of a stove. It is to provide a strong part of the liner to accept the screws.

The
The installer returned my call this evening, and said he just crimps the end of the liner down to fit the ID of the stovepipe end bell. Slip the stovepipe over the crimped liner end, and run in four stainless screws. Sounds easy enough, as I already have the tool... good way to go? Only down side I can imagine is the screws may be prone to tear out of the liner if the upper part of the stovepipe were ever allowed to hang from the liner.

Problem there, especially with thick double wall liner, is the restriction at the point the crimp is stuffed in the pipe. Use the band connect appliance adapter. But be sure they sell you one that will accept that thick liner.

So, the adaptor finally came today. Slips over the end of the liner nicely. I assume this is just a dry fit, no special prep or sealants?

Status
Not open for further replies.