Flex liner material

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

esh21167

Dec 27, 2007
Central PA
Might be able to buy a flex liner in a local private sale and have one question. The seller doesn't know if its 304 or 316 SS. Is there any way to tell the difference?

OK, both materials are for wood. I'd prefer the 316 but if I can get this liner cheap, I'll live with it if it's 304. But aren't some liners for gas also SS?

After some communication with the local private seller, I'm not absolutely convinced the liner is for wood. Is there any way to be sure a liner is for woodburning and not for gas?

Maybe if you take a closeup photo of the liner someone will recognize the seam design and be able to identify the manufacturer.

Other than that the only thing I can think of is that one may be slightly magnetic vs the other. I should have a 316ti on my stove and it will not hold a magnetic thermometer. I didn't try with a strong magnet though. Maybe someone else knows more.

Hope this picture may help.

Attachments

• pipe.jpg
    pipe.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 180
looks like the Simpson DuraFlex we use sometimes. But every liner probably looks like that...

Eric H said:
Hope this picture may help.

I was thinking more along the lines of a side shot that will show the crimping and bends better. Maybe some eagle eye here can identify it though.

If you plan on having your installation inspected then it is a moot point. Without the documentation you won't be able to prove that it is UL listed.

Interesting point BrotherBart, but no inspections required in my area. My insurance company didn't even care that about me putting in a fireplace insert. That said, I want to know that whatever liner I use is designed for woodburning.

Status
Not open for further replies.