Flex liner question?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bfunk13

Minister of Fire
Sep 11, 2008
Wyoming
After a very high quote to install my fireplace insert, and some confidence building from you guys.
I've decided to install my own insert. A friend of mine has one and said he only ran the flex 8' up the chimney.
I told him about the $650.00 or so for the full 25' flex with cap. He said i was crazy to do that.
Quote "its an existing chimney, what's the difference? either way the smoke will rise and exit just as it
did as a regular fireplace" "I've used it this way for 2 years with no trouble."
I told him everything i have read says to line the entire chimney and cap it.
I told him i am not going to cut corners when it comes to this install, i mean were dealing with possibly
burning down your house. Still said i was wasting about $500.00 on this. I am new to this and dont need
bad info. What do you guys think of this theory? Have any of you done this?

Thanks alot for all your help!
Brad

That is called a direct connect. First off, you will need to pull the insert out every cleaning to get up at the smoke shelf etc. With a FULL liner, it will go straight down into the stove, easy to get to easy to clean, and no pulling the insert out. Also, it will prolly draft much better. The larger the existing chimney, the worst the draft and maybe beyond spec if the cross section is even larger. The existing chimney better be in top shape with no cracks, breaks etc to pass code.
Ask you buddy how he cleans the crap that falls to the sides of the direct connect liner and all around the outside of the short section of liner? I wouldn't be surprised if he never cleaned it at all.

You don't need flex the whole way up the chimney. If the straight stuff is cheaper then put 5 feet of flex in to get around the damper and smoke shelf, and put rigid the rest of the way up.

It's worth the extra money just for the ease of cleaning. I just cleaned mine. fifteen minutes and I was done. You'll save a hundred dollars a year by being able to clean it yourself easily. Plus it will be safer and drafter much better. My full flex liner was 349.00 with the cap last year.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/24666/

You can find flex liner for a heck of alot cheaper than $650 for 25 foot (about 1/2 that price). Also, do the liner, like Hog said, gonna be a hassle to clean your chimney without it, and your insert will run better with it. Much better, and much safer, more efficient, bettter draw, better burn. KD

It was a no brainer for me, IMO its worth the extra cost for just the safety factor alone! I bought a 25' Flex liner kit on ebay for $450 and it took me about 4 hrs to install, that included setting up the insert. I removed my old cast iron dampener, it made it a lot easier and i didn't have to crush and bend my liner.

it seems the "Cap on top" will pull the smoke up when its breezy unlike next doors that uses just the chimey.he says when its windy the smoke will enter the house when the door is opened to put more wood in his stove.

I went with a fully lined and insulated chimney kit.i think it will be well worth the extra in the long run.

I would do mine again for DRAFT alone, regardless of the benefits come cleaning time and anything else...like safety...

Thanks fellas!!
You guys are great.

Great info!
Thanks for the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.