Flex liner through damper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Squatch

Jul 12, 2006
Iv'e done some searching and just can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for. So here it is.

I am putting in a new Regency i2400 insert and want to know the best method to get the 6" flex liner thru the damper. The damper is about 5" wide.

My dealer is suggesting that it can be deformed /bent whatever to pass thru the damper.

Can this be done safely? and is this the best method. or should the damper be cut out?

Thanks
Rob

if it means taking the damper out to do it right then take it out. the main thing is you do it right ;-)

sticking a 6 inch pipe into a 5 inch hole is like sticking a square block through a round hole ;-) there are adapters that will reduce down I'm sure but if it where my stack it would be 6 inch start to finish

thanks
Jason

Ask your dealerthe NFPA 211 cross-sectional code. This would be a good test of his knowledge and his truthfullness
The answer is 99% of all chimney flues require full liners. I will cut and past the actual wording for you to compare his answer.
Second it is a practice used but will void the linerr manufactures warranty. If you buy a round to oval back to round this is acceptable
But not the best solution to promote draft. Cutting the damper and not deforming or keeping the round configuration promoter your best draft situation and stove preformance.

ASk you dealer what pe preposed to do to install your stove get as much detail as you can better yet get it in writting including the liner make and model and its composition of stainless steel. Insulation is included blockoff plates the entire installation process?

Please post what you come up with here. Many here will help you achieve a setup for sucessfull stove opperation

PS we also need to know your current clay flue size it app verticle length and its current location interior of exposed to exterior walls

Please post what you come up with here. Many here will help you achieve a setup for sucessfull stove opperation

PS we also need to know your current clay flue size it app verticle length and its current location interior of exposed to exterior walls

I have requested to information. We will see how it goes.

The actual clay flue is something like 10" x 10" square and around 13' straight down to the fireplace on the main floor of the house which is a bungalow with 1400 sq' ea. floor. It's a fairly open concept space.

The fireplace is actually 2 sided with the chimney being in the middle of
the room.

Thanks
Rob

Knock out a few bricks below the damper/smoke shelf

Status
Not open for further replies.