Flex seal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
This might be a little off topic, but it's close as it relates to a tree resource.

I collect as many leaves as possible to compost and use in the garden. I use an old Wheel Horse lawn vac attachment. Works pretty well. The issue I have is the tubes that connect the mower deck to the vac and vac to the trailer. The tubes are rubber, and being over 40 yrs old, have developed many cracks, affecting the suction. New tubes are very expensive (I think they are 6" diameter).

I was going to wrap them in good black duct tape or the like, but I keep seeing the Flex Seal commercials, and wonder if painting the tubes with this product would be a good option?

A can of Flex Seal is $12. New tubes would be over $200.

I don't think that's going to work. I would hardly think flex seal could be load bearing.

Why not replace the tubes? Call a local small engine repair guy..he might have something cheap laying around.

I have used flex seal, and it does not fill big cracks and is not load bearing. But wrapping them in good tape first and then using the flex seal should work.

Reactions: Hebner
You mentioned good black duct tape. That or regular duct tape would probably do the job.

Black gorilla tape is way better than most brands of duct tape i have seen. I have also seen a red tape, really thick like gorilla tape but i dont know what it is

Reactions: mtarbert
i havent personally used gorilla tape, but the strongest tape i have used would be a pro grade gaffer tape. i think the UV resistance is what will be your issue here, using on a piece of outdoor equip. the flexseal over the tape should help protect the strength of the repair.

How about that emergency / rescue tape that seals to itself? I've used that stuff a couple times, and have been pleased with how good it will seal.

I found a roll of 2" electrical tape in the bottom of my toolbox this weekend, thought, what the hell, and wrapped the hoses up. I didn't think it would work, but it worked great. Spent about 4 hours vacuuming leaves this weekend and I have never had such good suction. And it is still sticking. Excelled at forming to the ridges and valleys in the hose.

If you want a good flexy seal on rubber, maybe consider butyl tape (sold anywhere that sells windows and/or roofing. Home Depot has it in 6" and 9" sizes).

duct tape sounds like a good option also. Spend a few bucks extra and get all weather HVAC tape.

x2 on Gorilla tape

If you want a good flexy seal on rubber, maybe consider butyl tape (sold anywhere that sells windows and/or roofing. Home Depot has it in 6" and 9" sizes).

duct tape sounds like a good option also. Spend a few bucks extra and get all weather HVAC tape.
Great idea, this will likely be the best solution- the butyl tape, that is. I've watched Tommy Silva apply Grace membrane around windows and in roof systems many times over the years, and I think butyl tape is similar stuff.

I don't think duct tape is flexible enough to get down into the deep valleys of the hose. For now, the electrical tape is working and the suction is wonderful. Might not last long enough to be useful next fall, but I got 'er licked this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.