Flexburn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The 3 stages are: Original fire, smoke gets pulled into a secondary combustion chamber, then the gases moves on to a catalytic combustion chamber.

2 modes of operation: CAT and non-CAT.

3 burn stages: Primary / Secondary pre-CAT / Secondary post-CAT

The "2 in 1" name references the 2 burn modes, not the 3 burn stages, as I see it.

I understand... I just think VC is confusing the issue by saying the stove "creates heat three times". A lot of people have trouble grasping the different ways a secondary burn occurs, so when you are getting a SECOND secondary burn then calling it a "tertiary burn" might lead some to believe there is such a thing as tertiary combustion.

(snip)... It might seem fun for you now and I hope it serves you well. Most people don't find it funny when I tell them it's going to be $800+ to fix a stove that's still new to them. We quit selling VC because of their "everburn" system, the numerous free service calls associated with it and the lack of support from VC. We only have a few 2in1s out there, they haven't had many problems so far.

I would in no way purchase an older 2n1 with the Everburn system. Waaaaay too much bad press about it and other design deficiencies in those units. Esp the extremely fragile refractory material used.

However - VC has done a tremendous job in fixing what they acknowledge was a design that needed a few key areas re-engineered. Not only did the new VC owners take the work back from China, they also did a full re-design on the stove, as is seen in the videos. So, with that, it really looks to me like the Encore 2n1 is now a mature design.

What I never admitted here before, is that when I got my stove brand new I declined letting the dealer set it up. I took it completely apart, right off the pallet. Down to individual pieces. I wanted to KNOW how this thing was put together - how the design execution looked from every angle. And guess what - it was superb. Inside and out, the Encore I got was a tour de force of American workmanship. I'm really proud to own it (and for $5500.00 I should be). Its impressively designed, manufactured and assembled in the USA.

This is NOT the old stove that gave VC a sullied name. I can see you're still down on this product but I respectfully must say that things are simply not the same as they once were. The new VC stove is more than just redesigned. The company has gone through a major upheaval. This is never easy to do, and for most businesses its the end of the road. When I see a company take work back like VC has - providing jobs, emphasizing quality, admitting past failures, and supporting our economy I will jump on board with that.

Vermont Castings is now a major American powerhouse. They do the castings for many other brand names in the industry such as Harman and Jotul. Yes, I'm an outspoken customer of the new company, and this product specifically. I am inexperienced, but I'm also a professional engineer and know good work when I see it. I will keep my fingers crossed, but the proof is in the pudding as they say. So far, the new Encore Flexburns appear to have gotten off to a very very good start.

Reactions: CTBurner
I would in no way purchase an older 2n1 with the Everburn system. Waaaaay too much bad press about it and other design deficiencies in those units. Esp the extremely fragile refractory material used.

However - VC has done a tremendous job in fixing what they acknowledge was a design that needed a few key areas re-engineered. Not only did the new VC owners take the work back from China, they also did a full re-design on the stove, as is seen in the videos. So, with that, it really looks to me like the Encore 2n1 is now a mature design.

What I never admitted here before, is that when I got my stove brand new I declined letting the dealer set it up. I took it completely apart, right off the pallet. Down to individual pieces. I wanted to KNOW how this thing was put together - how the design execution looked from every angle. And guess what - it was superb. Inside and out, the Encore I got was a tour de force of American workmanship. I'm really proud to own it (and for $5500.00 I should be). Its impressively designed, manufactured and assembled in the USA.

This is NOT the old stove that gave VC a sullied name. I can see you're still down on this product but I respectfully must say that things are simply not the same as they once were. The new VC stove is more than just redesigned. The company has gone through a major upheaval. This is never easy to do, and for most businesses its the end of the road. When I see a company take work back like VC has - providing jobs, emphasizing quality, admitting past failures, and supporting our economy I will jump on board with that.

Vermont Castings is now a major American powerhouse. They do the castings for many other brand names in the industry such as Harman and Jotul. Yes, I'm an outspoken customer of the new company, and this product specifically. I am inexperienced, but I'm also a professional engineer and know good work when I see it. I will keep my fingers crossed, but the proof is in the pudding as they say. So far, the new Encore Flexburns appear to have gotten off to a very very good start.

Very nice and positive attitude toward VC.
I truly hope you are right.
How long has your encore been in use?

Diabel - thank you.

We took delivery in the summer, and I lit the first fire in it only a month ago. So the Encore is new, with less than 2 months of use. Its new and so am I.

My evaluation should be considered in light of my lack of experience, but at the same time any of us can spot quality -vs- junk when we see it.

VC of the 80's was surly a fine product. VC of today, I have no experience with. My encore 0028 (25 years old) is working hard at helping to heat this shack.
Last year (spring) my refractory totally fell apart. New box was 700.00! I decided to glue together the old one and I guess I did a fine job since it is still working fine.
After 25 years there is nothing warped on the stove, definitely a fine castings from the 80's!

On a side note.
My plan was to rebuild the 2550 for this heating season. I ordered few parts (upper/lower fireback, hood etc. all warped) back in Aug. The plan was to swap the stoves for this season. Guess what.... I am still waiting!!
In my opinion, the encore 0028 was definitely a better product than the encore 2550, based on having both stoves in pieces.
Again, no experience with the new generation encores.

Status
Not open for further replies.