flexible liner connection problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinM

Jan 15, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
I am having problems connecting the flexible liner to my PE vista insert. I managed to get it connected with the insert deep in the fireplace but run into a problem when I slide it forward. The bottom of the damper frame is only six inches above the insert for the front (room side) part of the flue connection area. The stove adapter goes up 3.5 inches above the insert which doesn't leave enough room for it to flex around.

The dealer is recommending a 45 degree elbow to try and lean it back before connecting the flexible liner. Does anyone know anywhere I could get scale diagrams of 45 and 30 degree elbows to see if they would work.

When we were shopping for an insert another place mentioned an offset box. They had run into problems with the building inspector and didn't know if they would be able to continue using them. As well we only have fifteen feet of chimney so don't want to risk reducing draft any more than necessary.

Anyone have any other ideas? I doubt leaving the insert pushed three inches into the fireplace would be accepted by the building inspector since we need the mantle shield for our low wooden mantle.

Kevin.

what size and type of pipe ? I know the 6 inch rounds elbows are adjustable to just about any angle. I had to get around the damper in my fireplace .

All of the stainless 30 and 45 degree elbows I have ever seen are fixed, not adjustable. I had to use a thirty on my stove in the fireplace. For seven or eight bucks you can get one of the adjustable black steel ones to test angles with. Just don't use it. You don't want to be changing that thing out every three or four years.

A thirty shouldn't be a noticeable draft restriction.

I think this is what the dealer was recommending http://www.securitychimneys.com/PDF/catalogues/Chimneys/Cat_Tubinox.pdf. Page two shows the 30 and 45 degree. They have a 45 in stock which I will look at tomorrow but would like to try a 30 if possible. I don't know if the 45 will cause it to end up with problems with the back of the damper frame but that is allowed to be removed if necessary.

acesneights1 said:
what size and type of pipe ? I know the 6 inch rounds elbows are adjustable to just about any angle. I had to get around the damper in my fireplace .

On the dealer recommendation I bought a 5.5 inch TCE Chimney FLEXible Liner, the kit has an adapter to 6 inches. The chimney was rebuilt this summer from the roof up with new clay liner tile at the top. The new tile is smaller than the old and the 5.5 inch just squeezes through, glad only the top piece of clay tile was replaced.

Kevin.

One of my liners is a 5.5" TCE and I have been burning into it for three years. Good liner. It is 30+ feet high with two 90's and a two foot thimble and it drafts like a Hoover.

The dealer loaned me a 45 degree elbow to see if it would help. Hard working with the liner sticking in the way that can't even be pushed off to the side since I only cut a narrow section in the middle rear of the damper frame. It fits, barely, I can't even get my pinky between the elbow and the front of the damper frame. The elbow is from Magnaflex so I did some checking and found all the TCE accessories online (www.tce.ca) including 45 degree elbows and an adjustable depth offset box.

Two questions,

Is there a minimum clearance from the liner to the inside of the firebox?

How much is a 45 degree going to affect the draft of the 15 foot chimney? They do have a 12 and 18 inch extension piece to go on top of the chimney but I will try without it first.

Thanks for the link to the bent adapter/elbows, some of them were fixed and some were adjustable. Good information for tricky situations.

Kevin.

Update

After waiting more than two weeks they phone a say they have the elbow for me. Wrong elbow, it is in fact a tubinox like I linked to above. It has a twist connector and is 5 3/4" across. So I returned it last week and said try again. They say the best they can do is the original Magnaflex elbow. Way to waste three weeks.

So I called up a local dealer recommended by TCE, they placed their order yesterday so I will have to wait again. Now for the the nitty gritty question, there are two types of 6" 45 degree stainless steel elbows. One is ID and the other is OD. I would have thought one end would be ID and the other OD. The elbow will be used as follows from top to bottom: 5.5" flexible liner, stove adapter increaser to 6", 45 degree 6" elbow, insert. They thought I should get the 6" OD, is this the right one?

Kevin.

Status
Not open for further replies.