Flexible Liner short several inches on reinstallation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

LV33

Oct 22, 2023
North Carolina
Hi,

I bought a house with a buck stove insert and a 6” stainless steel flexible liner. I removed both (don’t ask me why) and am now trying to re-install the original setup . I re-inserted the liner from above. I’ve gotten the bottom of the liner within approximately 1-1.5” of its required depth. I’m looking for ideas on how to stretch it the additional inch or two of depth without removing or an option for purchasing additional coupling hardware and extensions. There is virtually no excess remaining at the cap — I suppose I could flip it as it was pointed up on the install

Any thoughts on how to solve the issue are appreciated.

How is it terminated currently on the bottom? Could a 15º elbow or straight appliance adapter be added?

Don’t stretch it. Just get adapters like mentioned above

Hi,

I bought a house with a buck stove insert and a 6” stainless steel flexible liner. I removed both (don’t ask me why) and am now trying to re-install the original setup . I re-inserted the liner from above. I’ve gotten the bottom of the liner within approximately 1-1.5” of its required depth. I’m looking for ideas on how to stretch it the additional inch or two of depth without removing or an option for purchasing additional coupling hardware and extensions. There is virtually no excess remaining at the cap — I suppose I could flip it as it was pointed up on the install

Any thoughts on how to solve the issue are appreciated.
1 to 1.5", that's not much...was the liner coiled up while out? Is it hanging by the cap now? I think it would be pretty easy to "stretch" that back out of it...its not like it shrank...

Chimney grew!

Is the liner slack in the chimney and just a little bit not straight up the middle?

Story of my life…
Sounds like you have a connection, just not the overlap you want. Did the original install cheat each side by a little and you just never saw it before you took it apart? I like the idea of an extra connector to allow it not to be under tension as it heats and cools.

Hi all,

Thanks for the quick responses and the humor! I have no idea where I’m “losing” a few inches!

I agree that adding extensions would be best. I just had no idea where to start looking.

The liner ends with a riveted “ forever flex coupling element”. I could certainly add an extension element. A vertical element would likely be best or rather a double bend 45 degree jog of ~6 inches would be ideal
If it exists . Please share if you know where to shop extensions

Yes, I had to leave the liner curled in storage (after I stupidly removed it). I’m guessing the initial installer left little excess and my attempt at dropping and stretching were weaker than the pro.

The stove is a buck 78 insert into a much larger fire box.

Thanks again!

IMG_7144.jpeg

It's coming down at an angle so a 30 or 15º liner elbow would work. That should add an inch or so.
liner adapt elbows.png
Rockford sells them.