Flexible Stainless Steel Gas Piping?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

49er

Jan 10, 2011
Los Gatos, CA
We are going to have our new stove installed shortly and the installer is recommending that we use this under the house instead of black iron because it will be much quicker and cheaper to run. I was just wondering if any of the pros here had an opinion or experience with this as my only experience is with the short flex tubing between the shutoff valve and the appliance itself.

Thanks,
Randy

Labor is where the savings is. If it is a run where you will need more than a piece or two of pipe I can see where it would save lots of time. Make sure it is grounded.

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
Labor is where the savings is. If it is a run where you will need more than a piece or two of pipe I can see where it would save lots of time. Make sure it is grounded.

Matt

+1. Go for it.

They make the stuff (Wardflex brand) right here in NCPA. Supposedly the best thing since sliced bread, according to the local hvac guys, some of whom are skeptical of anything new. I'd say to use it.

Enjoy the new fireplace.

Bill

definitely a big saver in time!!! been using it for over 12 yrs now. use the brand of "gas tite" exclusively-used ward flex just a little bit.

have gas piped many new houses completely with gas tite. with the exception of the "stub in" from the meter or regulator, which is black iron pipe, of course. the stub in is also where the gas pipe is grounded.

i have never seen it happen, but i have heard (talk) of lightening strikes and the flexible gas line not being able to withstand the strike, resulting in failure...

also, the capacity of the line is less than black iron pipe- due to size and the corrugation- so you have to make sure the distance for the added length and the btu rating of the appliance (fireplace, in your case) are compatible-the longer the length, the less the carrying capacity of the flex line...

yooperdave said:
definitely a big saver in time!!! been using it for over 12 yrs now. use the brand of "gas tite" exclusively-used ward flex just a little bit.

I've used Trac Pipe, Ward Flex & Gas Tite CSS (Corrugated Stainless Steel) & while I preferred Trac Pipe, the company switched to Ward Flex for cost reasons..

have gas piped many new houses completely with gas tite. with the exception of the "stub in" from the meter or regulator, which is black iron pipe, of course. the stub in is also where the gas pipe is grounded.

Here in NY's Capital District, we can use CSS in all indoor applications, & even through wall as long as striker [plates are used at sills & steel sleeves are use at all floor penetrations

i have never seen it happen, but i have heard (talk) of lightening strikes and the flexible gas line not being able to withstand the strike, resulting in failure...

The problem lies in the thin wall nature of the product. A lightning strike can cause an arc from the CSS to ground which will burn a hole on the wall of the pipe. I've had holes burn thru the CSS by an improperly installed (ie. homeowner) electrical box.
The dude used a metal box & ran outdoor wire without Romex connectors. He merely stripped the gray plastic sheathing back & figured the Romex connectors weren't required. He then mounted the metal box to a 2x8 floor joist with 2" screws. I was installing Trac Pipe on the opposite side of the joist & due to the lighting of the crawlspace, never saw the screws protruding. As I began to strap the Trac Pipe to the joist, I saw a spark about 10 feet to my left...WTF? I noticed that familiar ozone aroma & jiggled the line until I saw another spark. I got my flashlght & could THEN see the screws. I had burned a 1/4" diameter THRU the Trac Pipe.
Where the wire ran thru the hole in the box, the copper was in direct contact with steel. The voltage carried thru the screws to the point of contact with the Trac Pipe. I was fortunate that it happened BEFORE I turned on the gas flow.
If house current could do that a lightning strike could cause MAJOR problems

also, the capacity of the line is less than black iron pipe- due to size and the corrugation- so you have to make sure the distance for the added length and the btu rating of the appliance (fireplace, in your case) are compatible-the longer the length, the less the carrying capacity of the flex line...

The distances for either gas line are the same. The ID's if CSS & BIP are both nominal (ie 3/8", 1/2" or 3/4"). There may be agitation caused by the corrigations, but the volume is the same & the same flow charts from the national gas code books apply...

Thanks for the information guys, that makes me feel much more confidant knowing that it has been around for awhile and is widely used in the trade.

The distances for either gas line are the same. The ID's if CSS & BIP are both nominal (ie 3/8", 1/2" or 3/4"). There may be agitation caused by the corrigations, but the volume is the same & the same flow charts from the national gas code books apply...

[/quote][/quote]

the differences between black iron pipr (1/2") and gas tite (1/2") for carrying capacity is far greater then you know, brother. the flow charts jdo not apply to both, as you suggest.
for 10 ft. of b.i.p. the flow is 175k btu-as compared to 10 ft of gas tite with a flow of 95k btu.

this would make a world of difference if you apply the gas flow chart for b.i.p. to gas tite and hope to serve the same appliances....
just thought you would like to be corrected

[/quote]this would make a world of difference if you apply the gas flow chart for b.i.p. to gas tite and hope to serve the same appliances....
just thought you would like to be corrected[/quote]

Yeah. I LOVE being corrected. Like having another wife...
Been wrong before, Probably will again. Hope you enjoyed making me look bad.
I have used the National Gas Code rigid (schedule 40) for EVERY
gas appliance I've installed & the only time I got into a flow issue,
was where the original estimator did not check to make sure the take-off
at the meter & downstream feed was correctly sized for the additional requirements.
I'll go back to my real job now...

Status
Not open for further replies.