FLIR shots of my new Vulcan stirling stove fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aries339

Dec 22, 2010
Chicago Area
I just set up my new Vulcan stove fan and took a few FLIR shots so I figured I'd share them! The plain-color shot is just for perspective.

For reference, the limit of my IR camera is 518 degrees F. So the white areas in the shot are "at least" 518 degrees. The fan is in motion and has been operating for about 15 minutes when I shot these.

I was surprised at the temperature difference just between the bottom of the base and the top of the base. Anyway, I'm not an expert on stoves, FLIR, or fans so I don't have any further analysis. Enjoy the pics. :p

1.JPG 2.jpg fan from behind.jpg fan from the front.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: evilgriff
Interesting. Thanks for the pics.

I just set up my new Vulcan stove fan and took a few FLIR shots so I figured I'd share them! The plain-color shot is just for perspective.

For reference, the limit of my IR camera is 518 degrees F. So the white areas in the shot are "at least" 518 degrees. The fan is in motion and has been operating for about 15 minutes when I shot these.

I was surprised at the temperature difference just between the bottom of the base and the top of the base. Anyway, I'm not an expert on stoves, FLIR, or fans so I don't have any further analysis. Enjoy the pics. :p

View attachment 79904View attachment 79905View attachment 79906View attachment 79907

What do you think about the Vulcan stove fan? Do you think it makes a significant difference in distributing the heat around your home? Do you think it does a better job than just using a regular electric desk fan on the floor to blow cold air into the stove room?

Nice, how are you liking the stove?

Cool! Where'd you get the FLIR? Wish I could get my hands on one of those for a day so I could walk around my house and find all the cold spots :)

What do you think about the Vulcan stove fan? Do you think it makes a significant difference in distributing the heat around your home? Do you think it does a better job than just using a regular electric desk fan on the floor to blow cold air into the stove room?

My Vulcan fan is a cool to watch conversation piece that might be helpful in a power outage. It is no match for the tiny $6 electric that moves cool air into the room. Caveat: it's sitting on a stone stove that rarely sees (so far anyway) temps north of 475-500. Perhaps on a 700 degree cast or steel surface it might really move some air.

Hey I know I am coming back to a super old thread here. I dropped off the forums for a while but I wanted to answer some of the replies.

1) I got the FLIR from an industrial supplier. You can find them now for around $1000. I live in a very old house and wanted to find sources of heat loss.

2) I find that the Vulcan Stove makes a big difference. Here's the thing - it isn't going to move air around your whole house. But what it does do is eliminate the hot zone around the stove. It makes the heat in the stove room much more even. It moves the heat away from the stove, and then I still use a floor fan blowing cold air into the stove room.

3) Love the stove. Just wish I had room for a bigger one.

Ty

Status
Not open for further replies.