floating flagstone hearth Q

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wkies

Hearth Supporter
Oct 20, 2009
Connecticut
I'm getting ready to install a custom cut flagstone hearth for a new Jotul F100. I don't need an R value for the model therefore the just the stone is needed. It is in a corner so I don't think it will move. It is a single piece and will weigh over 200lbs alone. Can I just "float" the flagstone on the hardwood floor without any mud (cement)?

Don't see why not as long as all your clearances are met. 200lbs isn't a very big chunk of stone - you going to be able to get far enough away from both walls and 18" in front of the stove out of it?

If a flagstone hearth floats and weighs the same as a duck, it's a witch and you should build a bridge out of it

I have the clearances 10" off the back corners and 16" in the font (18" in Canada) with 37" across the front.

Awesome - don't see why it wouldn't work. Just keep an eye on it with a thin floating piece like that there is a possibility of cracking.

1.5" is probably fine - it's not so much the thickness of the stone as the individual piece you get. Just look it over good and make sure you dont see any "veins" running through it - areas that look likely to crack with changes in temp and the weight of a stove on them. Other than that just make sure it is supported nice and evenly, and you should be good to go. I would say the thicker the better - but at some point you'd have to start thinking column support from the floor underneath.

Status
Not open for further replies.