Flooding expected in the PNW this weekend

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

StihlHead

A leftover typhoon off Japan will bring in warm moisture to the PNW and we are expected to get up to 10 inches of rain here this weekend, along with high winds. This from the NWS:

A POTENT FALL STORM WILL SET UP OFF THE BRITISH COLUMBIA COAST
THIS WEEKEND AND BRING PROLONGED MODERATE TO HEAVY RAIN TO THE
SOUTHWEST WASHINGTON AND NORTHWEST OREGON. THIS IS A HIGHLY
UNUSUAL STORM FOR SEPTEMBER AND HAS THE POTENTIAL FOR PRODUCING
RECORD RAINS.
THE FIRST BATCH OF RAIN WILL ARRIVE BY FRIDAY AFTERNOON AFFECTING
AREAS FROM THE NORTH OREGON COAST TO THE SOUTH WASHINGTON
CASCADES. BETWEEN 0.75 AND 2.00 INCHES OF RAIN WILL FALL BY
DAYBREAK SATURDAY WITH HEAVIEST AMOUNTS OVER THE COAST RANGE AND
SOUTHWEST SLOPES OF THE WASHINGTON CASCADES.
THE JET STREAM GRADUALLY SAGS SOUTH SATURDAY THROUGH MONDAY
MORNING AND BRINGS A REINFORCING PUNCH OF TROPICAL MOISTURE. THIS
DEEP PLUME OF MOISTURE IS BEING GENERATED FROM FORMER TYPHOON
PABUK THAT WAS LOCATED OFF THE EAST COAST OF JAPAN. THIS SECOND
LEADING EDGE OF RAIN WILL ARRIVE AROUND MIDDAY SATURDAY. MODERATE
TO HEAVY RAIN WILL THEN GRADUALLY SHIFT SOUTH OVER THE NEXT TWO
DAYS WITH HEAVY RAIN REACHING THE CENTRAL OREGON COAST BY EARLY
SUNDAY MORNING.
AGGRESSIVE RAINFALL ESTIMATES BRING RAIN TOTALS THROUGH SUNDAY
EVENING TO NEAR 10 INCHES FOR THE SOUTHWEST SLOPES OF THE SOUTH
WASHINGTON CASCADES WITH AREAS NEAR MOUNT HEBO IN THE OREGON
COAST RANGE SEEING AROUND 8 INCHES. IN ALL...AREAS ALONG THE FAR
NORTH OREGON AND SOUTH WASHINGTON COAST WILL SEE 5 TO 6 INCHES
WITH AMOUNTS TAPERING OFF TO THE SOUTHEAST...WHERE THE CENTRAL
CASCADES ARE EXPECTED TO RECEIVE AROUND 1.30 INCHES. THE PORTLAND
METRO AREA COULD SEE UP TO 3.50 INCHES WITH AMOUNTS TAPERING OFF
TO 2.50 INCHES SOUTH OF EUGENE.

Well, this moisture event started earlier today than predicted (at 10am), and it has been raining here steady ever since. I tied down my firewood tarps all the way this morning and cleared my gutters again. I put an empty rain gauge out as well to see what I get in the next few days. I expect a half a foot at least, as I am in the north Cascades of Oregon, squarely targeted in all these forecasts.

The overview:

pnw storm.png

The expected rainfall amounts:

PNW rain exp.jpg

Gott'a love the way the world ends at the CDN border.

Looking at the jet stream next week we are gonna be up to it in water too.

Really glad I'm East of the Cascades rain shadow. Hope everyone stays safe! Rick

Reactions: BrotherBart
I'm in the yellow 2-3 inch band on east slopes of Cascades. If it keeps up like it has it might be more. I was going to take a quad ride this weekend but think I will just stay inside and enjoy a nice fire.

Right now it is not bad here, and has not been so far. 1.5 inches in my rain gauge since yesterday. Most of the storms are streaming just north of me into Washington and BC. Large bands of heavy moisture rolling in from the Pacific.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's hitting a bit more north than predicted. We are getting waves of intense rainfall. There was one this morning that peaked at 6"/hr rainfall rate. Fortunately it didn't hold that rate for more than a couple minutes. We just passed an inch of rain since midnight and I see some intense incoming waves on the radar. This is making up for any dry spell we had in the summer. The lawn is deep green again and needs mowing, but not this weekend.

Hunker down folks.

Its really getting windy here now. I expect to lose power any time. The intense rain bands are widening out and spreading south. This is the smaller of the two storms though. Tomorrow night is supposed to be the bigger one. Still less than 2 inches of precip here.

Fun stuff, at least we still have power. But with the ground getting saturated and with high winds tomorrow all bets are off. Here's a cell phone shot of a few minutes ago.

Last edited:
Stay safe folks. That ain't looking good.

We set a record for rainfall yesterday. Today in our neck of the woods has been relatively benign so far with just light rain showers. But just to the west in Bremerton they are getting doused heavily. And to the south it looks like StihlHead's area is getting soaked too, especially around Albany. Winds are supposed to pickup quite a bit tonight as the center of the storm passed to the north.

Starting to get wild here tonight after a semi-windy night last night, and decent weather during the day today (even a bit of sun). Gusts up to 110 km/h forecast tonight. I think that's about 70 mph. Hope all of you to the south are escaping it!

You folks are right in the center of things. Stay inside and stay warm. They are predicting 65mph for the coast and about 50mph for the sound. The low is going a bit more northward which is better for us. Barometer is a low 29.13 right now and predicted lower by midnight.

Peak of this mess for us was overnight last night. It was dark and thundering still this morning. Sunny now. Maybe that was the end of it.

Last edited:
Looks like we are going to set the all time record for rainfall in Sept.. Storm cells keep blowing through today, but with some breaks in between. This cell just hit us.

IMAG0246web.jpg

Wow- stay dry guys. Feel free to deflect some over here if you can, we are in the middle of whats projected to be over 2 weeks without a drop.

Now it's bright and sunny. This is totally schizophrenic weather.

Had some pretty stiff winds, not really much rain. Kind of a non-event over here on the dry side. Hope overyone's OK. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.