Floor Pad Issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chillmark

Jan 1, 2015
Cockeysville MD
Good afternoon and Happy New Year!

I recently purchased a Vogelzang boxwood woodstove and it requires a hearth pad that I simply can not seem to find anywhere. The requirements are that it be a Type II, UL 1618 pad with a r-rating of 3, and 48” x 70” x 1” in size.

I am going crazy trying to find this and the temperature is dropping here in Maryland and my new house is not well insulated. Any and all help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

-Chill

Welcome. Long pads like that are going to be hard to find. You may need to build one yourself or have it custom made by Yoder Hearth Classics. Custom will cost considerably more than the stove. Personally I would not burn that stove in a house. It is known to be hard to control and prone to overfiring. It's high, 3.0 R value requirement and large clearance requirements indicate how hot this thing can get. I might consider it for a cheap shop stove, but not in a house.

If you can return or exchange the stove I would. You can get a safer modern burner with modest hearth pad requirements that will provide more predictable heat for years.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the tip, Northern tool kindly agreed to take the stove back so I'm back in the market for an inexpensive stove that will safely heat half of my house. Any suggestions on a make or model?

Thanks again,

-Chill

It's an old farm house. The front where I want the stove to go is far enough away from my other wood stove that it doesn't get warm. Its poorly insulated too. We're talking about a kitchen and a computer/laundry/dining room, all open to each other

How many sqft do you want to heat? What's your budget? And, no matter which stove you will get, you will need dry wood with an internal moisture content of less than 20%. How many cords of split wood do you already have drying in your yard for at least one year?

I'm glad to hear Northern Tool took the stove back. We'll get you fixed up and you will be happier and much safer with the results. How many sq ft do you want to heat?

That's a very small area to put a wood stove in. Is there a place for excess heat to go to? I would look at the Englander 17VL or maybe you can find a Jotul F602 in good condition?

It is small but it's totally unheated and has three exterior walls. The heat can go from there into the bedroom/living room/bathroom as well. There's a blower fireplace insert in the living room, but there's also hot water heaters in there to take the edge off. No edge is taken off the front rooms. By keeping doors open and closed I'll be able to heat the front of the house with the stove and have the back and upstairs heated by the insert.

I'm looking now and it seems like the Englander is a tad out of my price range, though easy to find. I may just have to suck it up and get that if I can't find a Jotul...

Thanks so much for the tip, Northern tool kindly agreed to take the stove back so I'm back in the market for an inexpensive stove that will safely heat half of my house. Any suggestions on a make or model?

Thanks again,

-Chill

Good move, I have a vogelzane in my basement and I am not impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.