Floor Protection for Lopi Answer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boulderjoe

Oct 4, 2008
Colorado
Hi Everyone!
This is my first post and I'm really glad to be here! I did it, I bought a Wood Stove on Craigslist and now I need to install it. I'm up for it but I'm overwhelmed. I want to install it by myself.
I have Lopi Answer and the instructions says it needs, "floor protection of at least 3/8" thick." That's it. Nothing about R-Value, etc. The Answer is on a pedestal and I want to make my own hearth pad. On this forum I've read about guys layering plywood and tiles; other guys use stacks of Durarock, tile, and more! Can someone knowledgeable give me some tips?! Thanks!

for that stove, use a 1/2 " durock w/ tile, 36 x 42 min dimension

Welcome! Yeah, it's pretty simple. You can build a frame out of 2x4s if you wish, or just start with a layer of plywood, with cement board on top. The key is paying close attention to the required clearances in the manual. What kind of tiles do you plan to use?

My manual has very specific dimensions for size of the hearth pad but it has nothing for the thickness - just "non-combustible" and at least 0.18" thick. I hadn't really considered what type of tiles to use. I was going to go to Home Depot and put a design together. What should I avoid? Since there isn't any specific mention of R-value it may not get hot at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.