Floor Register

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MishMouse

Minister of Fire
Jan 18, 2008
Verndale, MN
My wood stove is in the basement so every time I haul wood I need to haul it into the house then down the stairs, then about 25 more feet until I get it to the wood bin.

Here is what I am thinking.
If I install a big enough register upstairs above my bin, all I will have to do is remove the bin and drop the wood into the basement.

Now for the questions:
1) Is it up to code to a register in or does it violate some fire code?
2) Does anyone have any suggestions on the type I should get?
3) Which one do you have and where did you get it?

Thanks..

My first thought, what a mess !~!

Bugs running everywhere after they get knocked out of their secure place.

Bark and bark dust flying everywhere.

How about a gentle nylon bag to lower or something.

Robbie

In most cases floor registers not connected to anything violate building code but you would need to check with the local building offical for sure. it does sound rather messy how about a slide threw a basement window?

Move the stove upstairs if possible. Not very effective heating from the basement in my experience.

I think dropping them would be a real mess as mentioned by others.

Well, you're not talking about a floor register, you're talking about some sort of trap door, or "hatch". Don't know that it would be a code problem, necessarily, 'cause houses are full of openings between floors...for stairs and ladders and such, but it'd be a good thing to check, because in a lot of configurations, fire-rated doors are specifically required. Maybe you should just move down into the basement each winter. :) Rick

My grandparents had a setup like this . . . for laundry. You open the door and drop your dirtly clothes in and they land in a hamper basement next to the washing machine.

I could see a similar setup for wood, but as mentioned above it would be messy (and I coulnd't imagine the noise).

This setup was also used for coal in lots of old houses. I would make a stout wood box in the basement with an exterior hatch and chute that feeds into the box. Insulate the hatch door and make sure it seals tightly. That saves you mess and cold air of dragging the wood into the house before having to drop it and it avoids a fire barrier penetration.

Our house in Virginia had a laundry chute. Round spring-loaded sheet metal door opened into the chute chase, clothes dropped to the laundry room below, and the door shut. The door was only about 10" diameter. Not the way I'd choose to move firewood. Rick

What I will probably have to do is build a portable wood chute so I could drop the wood through the egress window,
then when not in use move it out of the way. I think a box type chute may work the best, made with treated 1/2 plywood and old vinyl siding to add to the slippage..

Status
Not open for further replies.