Floor registers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pagey

Minister of Fire
Nov 2, 2008
Middle TN
Some light sparring in another thread got me thinking about the boxed in Class A inside a living space. Obviously Class A isn't going to radiate a ton of heat (hence the relatively low 2" CTC requirement), but would putting floor registers normally used for HVAC vents into the sides of the drywall enclosing the Class A allow any usable heat to "escape" into the living space at all? Anyone here tried it? Not sure I can talk the wife into from a cosmetic perspective, but I'm admittedly curious.

I bet it would. Although, if the chase is not properly insulated, cold air cold also run into the house when the unit is not in use.

summit said:
I bet it would. Although, if the chase is not properly insulated, cold air cold also run into the house when the unit is not in use.

That's a good point. I hadn't thought about it. The pass through portion of the attic right there is probably only 6" high, as the pipe passes through very close to the back wall of the house and comes out not far from the eaves on the back side. I've not been up in the attic, but I would bet the installers had to trim down the insulation shield to make it fit!

Thanks for the input!

Status
Not open for further replies.