Floor to ceiling height

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RnG17

Sep 9, 2010
PA
Ok the stove manufacture that I was going to purchase from wants 84" from the floor to the ceiling. And I'm at 82". My basement is finished with with drywall on the ceilings.

My question is . . . Does anyone else have a low height clearance and if so what stove mfg. do you use and whats you measurement? Inspector told me that the stoves mfg. overrides the county codes, which is fine, but I just hope I'm not screwed now.

I can't find anything online on any other stove mfg. on this. They all give back, sides, and corner, but never from floor to ceiling requirements. Not sure what to do now.

Thank you.

Ask your inspector if he will accept a proper NFPA 211 wall shield above the stove to reduce clearances. This will be a sheet of cement board, or metal, that is attached to the ceiling on 1" standoffs so that it has a 1" ventilated air space behind it. That will definitely be safe. Otherwise, there may be other stoves that would work, but we need to know about the stove size, heating requirements, etc. to help with an alternative stove choice. What stove(s) are you considering?

I'm also wondering about that basement. Drywall on the ceilings but what about the walls? If they are not insulated you very well could lose most of that heat your stove produces because the walls will just soak it all up leaving you still with a cold house.

RnG17 said:
I can't find anything online on any other stove mfg. on this. They all give back, sides, and corner, but never from floor to ceiling requirements. Not sure what to do now.

Thank you.

My take on this is.. If the manufacturer doesn't list a floor to ceiling req. then they don't have one..

I know my stove did list a req. for the ceiling in an alcove, but only for that.

So lets us know what stove you are looking at now, and why you picked it, and maybe we can help you find one that works..

Status
Not open for further replies.