Floor vent question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Syd'sDad

Nov 4, 2014
Central Indiana
Hello all,

I will be getting new carpet in my living room in the near future, which happens to be right above the basement that contains my Kuma Sequoia freestanding stove. I was wanting to possibly put a vent in the new floor to allow hot air to rise up into the living room. Just wondering if anyone out there has done this and how it worked out for you. Any pics, advice or other information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

first is against building code to have an opening between floors, now that we got that out of the way. There are vents available that close in case of fire, this would be the correct way to go.

Correct. The floor register needs to be set in a horizontal fusible-link fire damper assembly.
http://www.grainger.com/category/fi...es/hvac-and-refrigeration/ecatalog/N-m1o?bc=y
http://www.atlantasupply.com/swscripts/NLNETUPD.OBJ?REQR_TYPE=O&REQR_ID=NEW CUSTOMER&AUTH_ID= &&LOC_NO=001&NL_ORDER_NO=@VAR_NL_ORDER_NO_@&PROD_CAT_NM=Fire Dampers&PC=A&SC=FD&REQUEST_ID=CCATSEL_AS2
Putting it right over the stove may not be as successful as desired if there's no return air path. Sometimes this can be a basement doorway, sometimes it means additional fire dampered registers on perimeter walls to gravity feed return air.

I considered putting a couple shower exhaust vents in my floor between the two floors, hook them to a switch and presto...pull hot air from one area to another! I never did it but was tempted. No building codes or inspectors here in my area.

I considered putting a couple shower exhaust vents in my floor between the two floors, hook them to a switch and presto...pull hot air from one area to another! I never did it but was tempted. No building codes or inspectors here in my area.

Your insurance company may refuse to pay a fire related loss if they find you installed these.

Your insurance company may refuse to pay a fire related loss if they find you installed these.
I have two in my house. They work pretty good. My insurer came over last spring to do an inspection and didn't say a word about them.

I have two in my house. They work pretty good. My insurer came over last spring to do an inspection and didn't say a word about them.
I should clarify. I do not have exhaust vents. Just metal floor grates boxed in on all sides in the floor joists.

Regulations and coverage are going to vary according to the local code, inspecting authority and if there is a claim, the insurance adjuster.

Reactions: Ash
I was planning on a metal box floor grate between the joists a couple feet to the left of the stove. When I burn I leave the door to the basement open. You think this enough for a convection loop to move some air through the grate?

Maybe. Can you post a sketch of the first floor plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.