floorboard - concrete board with tile enough?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter105

Nov 18, 2008
NY/PA
Hello lords of fire - I tried to find an answer to this question in past posts but couldn't - so here goes...I am installing a regency 2400 stove in a new (modular) construction - the alcove was built to regency specs for width, height, depth, etc. Now I just have to put some flooring down beneath the stove so I can finish the wood floor up to its 16 inch front clearance, ect. The sub floor is there and I think I can use a standard piece of concrete board and then tile on top of that - I think it is enough for the stove I bought - it has the heat shields, air mate, and all. I don't need a riser beneath the concrete board do I? Does anyone have any suggested brands - suggested thickness? thanks.

Welcome aboard the boards!

Give the manual a good read - I think you will find that your stove only requires a non combustible floor - so you may not even need the concrete board. I like the idea of a flush floor around a stove - nothing to trip on. Then you can make the non-combustible area as large as practical. No need to scrimp on a few inches of tile (note that Canada requires 18", USA 16", and specs will change for the larger as time goes on I'm sure) and who knows how big your next stove will be - if you built the home for a stove, it will have one for many years longer than you Regency is around.

Enjoy the journey - and post us a pic of your install .

Man, I am lucky. I have a poured slab in the sunroom where the stove is located. No combustibles anywhere on the floor. Downside is that if you stop the heat it is cold!!!
Chad

Brent - thanks for reply - I think you may be right - the install specs say "a non-combustible material like tile, concrete board or certified to UL-1618..." so it seems like an either-or. I think I will still do the board and tile - but now i feel better about getting a standard peice of inch concrete board for underneath - like Durock or something. And, yes, I'm starting to feel like I built the whole house around the idea of the wood stove! Will post finished photos - shooting to be done for Xmas.

Peter105 said:
Brent - thanks for reply - I think you may be right - the install specs say "a non-combustible material like tile, concrete board or certified to UL-1618..." so it seems like an either-or. I think I will still do the board and tile - but now i feel better about getting a standard peice of inch concrete board for underneath - like Durock or something. And, yes, I'm starting to feel like I built the whole house around the idea of the wood stove! Will post finished photos - shooting to be done for Xmas.

Good luck with your project . . . as you have no doubt found out by reading your manual not all stove manufacturers require the same R values for the hearth. Sounds like your stove is similar to mine in that it only requires a non-combustible material for the hearth.

However, you also sound a lot like me . . . I too opted to put down UL-rated Durock (1/2 inch sheet) with tile (or rather slate in my case) over it for the added peace of mind.

Don't quote me on it . . . but I was thinking US standards now call for 18 inches of floor protection/hearth in the front of the stove . . . and if you're like most folks you may find that more is often better in terms of protecting wood floors, carpeting, etc. from errant embers or sparks. I went to 22 inches and even then I wish I had gone out another 6 inches or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.