Flooring questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

njtomatoguy

Feeling the Heat
Jun 20, 2006
Maple Shade, NJ
I have a house built in 1956, plywood subfloor, tar paper, 8x8 asbestos tiles. They keep popping up and cracking the 12x12 self stick tiles I put down to shut up an old girlfriend- she was worried about the asbestos and her kid- I am taking everthing up to put down armstrong swiftlock laminate flooring.
so, the question is- do i take it to the plywood, ad the pad that they sell for this stuff, or do i do luan, then the pad.

Opinions?

Thanks,
Bob

The short answer is; I would not take up the asbestos tiles, I would go right over them and encapsulate them under the laminate. The danger with asbestos backed tile is that it will come loose and or be disturbed and release asbestos into the living area. When it is down and in relatively good shape, there is really no issue. Encapsulating it under the laminate keeps the asbestos from being disturbed.

If a number of tiles are missing, you will have to fill in the voids so you don't have differences in the floor height. This can be done with the self stick tiles, additional layers of pad, floor patching compound or any number of materials. Once things are level, put the pad down and go nuts with the laminate. Just remember to leave an expansion gap along all walls, cabinets, plumbing and any other fixed objects the laminate would come in contact with. I recommend caulking the expansion gap in any area that may come in frequent contact with water. This will still allow the floor to expand and contract, but will keep water from getting under the floor and causing problems.

The biggest reason I can see for taking the old flooring down to the plywood is to lessen the height difference to adjoining floors. They do make reducers for laminate floors that will help ease these transitions, but sometimes the height difference is too great. With only a layer of old tiles, height should not be an issue. If you do take up the old flooring, wear your "PPE". You don't want to expose yourself to the asbestos backing as you are stirring everything up. You can go down to the plywood, as long as it is sound and smooth (no major deflections, voids, etc..) put the laminate pad right on top and install the new floor.

Good luck and post some before and after pics.

I am with Griz on this one. Go over top. I suggest a layer of plastic as a vapor barrier, most laminate flooring requires this in the directions. I have concrete I am installing over, and def need if for over that. My flooring comes with the padding pre installed on each piece. You def want padding either way, cuts down on noise and helps transition over small imperfections below.

Status
Not open for further replies.