Florida on Fire!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChillyGator

Feb 20, 2009
NorthFlorida
1st Fire of the season started last weekend. High of 56* and blowing Saturday, 38* Monday morning. I burned all Sat, Sun and threw a couple splits on the fire around 2:OOam Monday to keep the house warm. Easy start up, quickly up to 600* stovetop then steady burn for about 1 hours to make coals, refill and burn for 15 min, temp 550-600. turn it down to 1/4 and it cruises right there slowly going down to 400-450 before ready to refill. Could get about 2.5 hrs of steady heat but even after 6 hours I could throw small splits on be right back to it. Already wish it was BIGGER but it is really about all I could fit without major modifications and using lots of floor space in my living room. Ash tray was just about filled when I cleaned it out Monday afternoon. Bottom line is this baby is going to save me some $$$ on propane and keep the house WARM instead of just above cold.

Getting ready to install an Airshare to get the heat into my den directly across the wall from the stove, this will also heat my kitchen better with natural draft back to the living room. The living room was often 78* while the den was 68*, I imagine that Iwill be able burn a little lower temp and little longer with this mod while keeping the house more comfortable.

The red oak I cut back in the spring is NOT ready to burn (even after resplitting both cords (by hand) in August to help speed up the process). Some around 28% but most still 30-32%. The wood I bought from a friend in the biz was good but I'm gonna need more!

Attachments

• FirstBurn.jpg
    FirstBurn.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 417
  • FirstBurnSecondaries.jpg
    FirstBurnSecondaries.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 391
could you post a link to the "Airshare"? I need to try to get my heat back to my back bedrooms.

Thanks

bokehman said:
ChillyGator said:
High of 56* and blowing Saturday, 38* Monday morning.
Is Florida really that cold? I thought it was subtropical. Our lows here 60.

It's a fairly long (north-south) state. Just looking at the temps right now, the north part is 57F (13C), and the south is 75F (24C).

bokehman said:
Corners said:
It's a fairly long (north-south) state. Just looking at the temps right now, the north part is 57F (13C), and the south is 75F (24C).
Yeah, it spans 24 North to 31 North. I'm still surprised though. I'm at 38 North and it's much warmer here.

Oh, that's just one of their "cold" streaks. When the jet stream moves south and we get a blast of Canada air, it gets cold, even down to north Florida. But don't worry, their (Jacksonville) high tomorrow is supposed to be 88F (31C). ;)

Corners said:
bokehman said:
Corners said:
Yeah, it spans 24 North to 31 North. I'm still surprised though. I'm at 38 North and it's much warmer here.

Oh, that's just one of their "cold" streaks. When the jet stream moves south and we get a blast of Canada air, it gets cold, even down to north Florida. But don't worry, their (Jacksonville) high tomorrow is supposed to be 88F (31C). ;)

Still a long way to winter down here........in Florida, if you don't like the weather...just wait 10 minutes!

I think that 'Mediterranean west coast' effect keeps your weather a little milder.

Jacksonville can get REALLY chilly with wet cold air coming off the Atlantic.

Not unusual at all to heat in the morning and run the A/C in the afternoon around here!

Status
Not open for further replies.