Flu Cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bjr23

Nov 2, 2009
Eastern WA
I bought the 4" brush for the pellet stove pipe and the flexible rods. I could not for the life of me get the brush to go past the first 90 elbow. I wound up disassembling the whole flu system (10 feet and maybe 5 joints plus the tee at the bottom), what a mess, but it's clean now. What do you guys do use to get the brushes to go thru the piping? bjr

bjr23 said:
I bought the 4" brush for the pellet stove pipe and the flexible rods. I could not for the life of me get the brush to go past the first 90 elbow. I wound up disassembling the whole flu system (10 feet and maybe 5 joints plus the tee at the bottom), what a mess, but it's clean now. What do you guys do use to get the brushes to go thru the piping? bjr

Do you have 4" venting?

Lint Eater. Love it. Dual purpose. Dryer and Pellet stove. Works great. Easy to use.

DexterDay said:
Lint Eater. Love it. Dual purpose. Dryer and Pellet stove. Works great. Easy to use.

Do you have 4" venting on the pellet stove? any 90 degree elbows? The kit that I bought also came with a clog cleaner that looks like it might work for cleaning gutter downspout clogs.

My dryer has 5ft vert, 45*, 2 ft vert, 45, 1ft vert, 90, 3ft horizontal. This is MUCH more complicated than any stove I have and works like a dream. Would never know there is any angles. I only use the shop vac attachment on the dryer. The pellet stoves get the leafblower after the brush.

DexterDay said:
My dryer has 5ft vert, 45*, 2 ft vert, 45, 1ft vert, 90, 3ft horizontal. This is MUCH more complicated than any stove I have and works like a dream. Would never know there is any angles. I only use the shop vac attachment on the dryer. The pellet stoves get the leafblower after the brush.

Good. That's reassuring. Since I do not have a leafblower I was going to try to use the shop vac attachment on the vent piping after using the brush.

Hmm, I hadn't seen the Lint Eater before, but it looks promising. I just ordered a kit. I hope it works well!

DexterDay said:

Glad to hear that, I'd been looking at brushes and such and this caught my eye. Going to order one today!

I actually turn the rod clockwise and push and that always seems to help getting past the bends/turns in the pipe.

Linteater is the only way to go. The 10 piece kit I bought at Lowes a few years ago includes an adapter cap that allows a vacuum to be attached AND run the brush up the pipe at the same time.....it also has other adapters. The outside of the box even showed it being used to clean a pellet stove.

www.lowes.com/pd_37653-59625-RLE202...rentURL;=/pl__0__s?Ntt=lint+eater&facetInfo;=

They even have extension rod kits that let you go as high as 24' in total.

One word of caution to anyone who does get one: Do NOT run your drill in reverse when pulling the brush back out....it can unscrew the rod from the brush and become stuck up in the upper reaches of your exhaust pipe.....keep the drill running forward the entire time.

Status
Not open for further replies.