Flu pics of Garn during burn.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

huffdawg

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I was just watching a video of a Garn in operation.. It shows a quite a lot of steam exiting the flue. Is this just during below freeze point weather or does it always happen? If anyone has any pics or vids of their Garn exhaust during a burn please post . Just trying to see if it would be ok for the immediate neighbours.Also whats is the cost of the Garn Junior.. Tried phoning ,no answer.

Huff

Mine steams Huff, about a half hour when it's down to 0. F that is. My first year I had the horizontal flue out the back of the building, and the steam wasn't that noticeable. I went vertical since then, as the back behind it was covered with leaves, pine needles, etc, a steep bank and just made me nervous when there was no snow. On a calm cold morning now it'll go straight up 50 to 80 ft, not smoke, steam. You can watch it thin out as the fire gets hotter. I don't remember the exact cost of the Jr, about 13 thousand give or take seems close.

Properly seasoned wood will produce steam in any gasification system. At least initially.
The simple fact of the matter is the remaining 20% moisture content has to go somewhere as it is evaporated from the cell structure of the wood fiber.
The drier the wood, the less steam obviously. Relative humidity, temperature and other atmospheric conditions also play a part in how much is visible.

Do not forget, ALL burning, no matter what is burnt, produces water. It's a universal chemical reaction. Fuel + Oxygen yields Carbon Dioxide and Water. Thus the vapor trails that jets leave. Jets are always producing the water, but when conditions are right the water vapor freezes and can be seen. Car exhaust systems rust out because of the water produced by burning gasoline. Burning ANY kind of wood, even if 100% dry, will always produce water. And, when conditions are right, you will be able to see it.

Reactions: DaveH
Horizontal exhaust on the 1500...and indeed steam when cold outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.