Flu shot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Stopped by my doctors office to get a flu shot. Had to set up an appointment for next week.
Stopped by the public health clinic, had to set up an appointment for 2 weeks from now.
Stopped by Walgreens Pharmacy, got a flu shot in about 10 minutes :)
I hear Walmart gives them too.
Go figure, Doctors & Health clinics don't give flu shots, without a bunch of paper work, an appointment next week or longer & seeing the doctor.
WalGreens & Walmart give the flu shot in a few minutes.
No wonder our health care system is in trouble, :-S

Makes you wonder why we are still practicing medicine like this. Over in Europe you can get lots of medicine at the pharmacy without a doctor. The Pharmasist's are allowed to make simple diognostic's and prescribe meds. I can't tell you how many vistits and how many co payments I have made with my children to go to the doctor only to here them say ear infection, here's a prescrpt for amoxicillin.

Our health system is so layered so everyone (including the goverment) gets a peice.

The doctor was $25 co pay; & they'd bill the insurance for the rest. (next week) + time sitting waiting (like always at the doctor office)

I got a coupon from the public health clinic for a free flu shot.
I was willing to pay the health care places for a flu shot,
& got one free from Walgreens.
I offered to pay Walgreens but they said, no , use coupon, save $30 .

The real question is why in the world do you think you need a flue shot?

Highbeam said:

I get sick when I get the flu :)
Not fun.
Figured better to not get sick :)

Got mine with my kids at the town High School. In and out in 15 minutes. No charge, although they took our insurance info to bill whatever they can. My kids are 11 and 9, and still not thrilled about shots. Seeing their friends there helped the whole situation. My son had the flu when he was about 5. He missed five days of school, he was sick for 7 days, sleeping about 20 hrs a day. None of us need that again.

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
Highbeam said:

Before you fall for the hype and pony up your cash to big pharma, take the time to read this article. Pay close attention to the statistics.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2009/11/does-the-vaccine-matter/7723/1/

Great article....

OT, my favorite health stat is how all the hand sanitizers put out for swine flu (and stayed out) have driven down the incidence of a bunch of other infections, esp in hospitals.

IMO. The folks that don't get vaccinated are vastly protected by those who do. Some folks claim to have gotten sick after taking the flu shot and while you can run a slight fever for a day or have a sore shoulder thats way better than a brain degenerating fever over 102F and being sick for several days especially in small children and the elderly. I've heard of folks that don't believe in vaccinations but I'm glad that most people do. Since these sicknesses and viruses are contagious it takes a sick person to pass them on. Less sick people means less getting passed around. So if you don't get your shots thank the ones that do if you don't get sick.

back on topic.
Our state health dept offers local drive through flu shots. I encourage everyone to do that route. Takes a few minutes waiting in line in your car, roll your sleeve up, shot, and then drive on out. Most insurance companies will pay 100% for vaccinations. These private companies have done their research and know its cheaper for them if you get $100 in vaccinations rather than a week sick with prescriptions and Dr visits and time off work or out of school.

Just my 2 cents.

The flu shot is just like many of the other things that you are supposed to do for your health. Take vitamins, drink 8 glasses of water, eat butter not margarine, then margarine not butter, etc.

I don't take drugs unless I am broken. I certainly will not take a flu shot to maybe prevent a non-fatal illness that I've never had.

Highbeam said:
The flu shot is just like many of the other things that you are supposed to do for your health. Take vitamins, drink 8 glasses of water, eat butter not margarine, then margarine not butter, etc.

I don't take drugs unless I am broken. I certainly will not take a flu shot to maybe prevent a non-fatal illness that I've never had.

I don't get the flu shot. My wife does . . . it comes down to a personal choice.

However, influenza can be a fatal illness for some folks -- especially seniors or folks who are at risk. In the U.S. it's in the top 10 causes of death.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm

firefighterjake said:
However, influenza can be a fatal illness for some folks -- especially seniors or folks who are at risk. In the U.S. it's in the top 10 causes of death.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm

From the article

Nonetheless, in 2004, Jackson and three colleagues set out to determine whether the mortality difference between the vaccinated and the unvaccinated might be caused by a phenomenon known as the “healthy user effect.†They hypothesized that on average, people who get vaccinated are simply healthier than those who don’t, and thus less liable to die over the short term. People who don’t get vaccinated may be bedridden or otherwise too sick to go get a shot. They may also be more likely to succumb to flu or any other illness, because they are generally older and sicker. To test their thesis, Jackson and her colleagues combed through eight years of medical data on more than 72,000 people 65 and older. They looked at who got flu shots and who didn’t. Then they examined which group’s members were more likely to die of any cause when it was not flu season.

Jackson’s findings showed that outside of flu season, the baseline risk of death among people who did not get vaccinated was approximately 60 percent higher than among those who did, lending support to the hypothesis that on average, healthy people chose to get the vaccine, while the “frail elderly†didn’t or couldn’t. In fact, the healthy-user effect explained the entire benefit that other researchers were attributing to flu vaccine, suggesting that the vaccine itself might not reduce mortality at all. Jackson’s papers “are beautiful,†says Lone Simonsen, who is a professor of global health at George Washington University, in Washington, D.C., and an internationally recognized expert in influenza and vaccine epidemiology. “They are classic studies in epidemiology, they are so carefully done.â€

In 1989, only 15 percent of people over age 65 in the U.S. and Canada were vaccinated against flu. Today, more than 65 percent are immunized. Yet death rates among the elderly during flu season have increased rather than decreased. There’s some merit to this reasoning. Unfortunately, the very people who most need protection from the flu also have immune systems that are least likely to respond to vaccine. Studies show that young, healthy people mount a glorious immune response to seasonal flu vaccine, and their response reduces their chances of getting the flu and may lessen the severity of symptoms if they do get it. But they aren’t the people who die from seasonal flu. By contrast, the elderly, particularly those over age70, don’t have a good immune response to vaccine—and they’re the ones who account for most flu deaths.

Only four studies were properly designed to pin down the effectiveness of flu vaccine, he says, and two of those showed that it might be effective in certain groups of patients, such as school-age children with no underlying health issues like asthma. The other two showed equivocal results or no benefit.

They offered us to get the flu shot at work, clinic was in our office and we went on work time, also we were given a really good cup cake if we went. I usually get sick at some time during the winter. This is the first time i have gotten the shot so we will see what happens. I didn't even know that I can now vote in the USA (according to kenny chaos anyway). Guess i will have to brush up on my USA politics and see what you kids are doing down there :)

stejus said:
Makes you wonder why we are still practicing medicine like this. Over in Europe you can get lots of medicine at the pharmacy without a doctor. The Pharmasist's are allowed to make simple diognostic's and prescribe meds. I can't tell you how many vistits and how many co payments I have made with my children to go to the doctor only to here them say ear infection, here's a prescrpt for amoxicillin.

Our health system is so layered so everyone (including the goverment) gets a peice.

We have that here too... CVS calls it the "minute clinic". They have a nurse practitioner on duty that can not only do flu shots, but diagnose common problems like sinus infections and prescribe medication.

-SF

A fantastic book to read on the subject of medicine is by Ben Goldacre and is called Bad Science. He covers many topics of healthcare including the tricks and omissions by nutritionists, homeopaths and big pharma to influence behaviour. The last few chapters are on the vaccination/autism hoax in the late '90s, early '00s.

It is a book everyone with strong opinions on the medical field should read.

Status
Not open for further replies.