flu size

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

giggles

Nov 16, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
hey folks

hello from dublin ireland :)

i am nearly ready to weld up my propane tank wood stove.
i was curious about the size of the flu... could i use a 2.5" flu?

i will get pics up as soon as i figure out how to... on others forums and cant get my pics up on them either!

anyway this is a fantastic forum :)

2.5 is very narrow.... IMHO... not that I have any idea how large a flue should be for a homemade propane tank woodstove.

Oh and hello and welcome from across the pond.....

howaya shawneyboy

hmm well the mobile home its to go into has a 2.5" flu so would be pain free to just take the exsisting flu (as its for the old gas heater) and put in a flu for the wood stove

if it aint nailed down trow it in the fire! said:
howaya shawneyboy

hmm well the mobile home its to go into has a 2.5" flu so would be pain free to just take the exsisting flu (as its for the old gas heater) and put in a flu for the wood stove

Gas Heater is a clean exhaust... Wood burner especially a homemeade, unit will not be clean burning.... with 2.5 inches, if you get 1/4 of an inch build up, you will be losing 20 % of your flue opening, let ALONE the risk of Flue Fire and the possible leaks of toxic gasses into building if the draft is not as efficent as it should be, ....... Please be careful

Holy moly, Mobile home, gas tank stove, 2.5" flue...If you were my customer and walked into my showroom with a nutjob scheme like that, I would tell you to get the idea out of your mind, open your wallet and do it right...or not at all. Crap, if you can afford a computer to surf the web with, you can scrounge $500 for a proper stove. Stop being silly.

In other news, I had the chance to visit your fine island a long time ago. That was the most majestic place I have ever seen. That still doesnt excuse your behaviour.

honestly I have no idea for the equipment you are using. In US manufacturers have Flue sizes that are needed/recomended. Is there anyone local to you with a similar setup that you know ?? That would be the first place I would look to for advice. There may be somone on this forum that can help but... I don't think, or have not seen any posts dealing with anything similar to what you are proposing but I have not been on this forum very long. but have read soooooooo much of it from the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.