Flue cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Draughts15

Dec 23, 2020
Upper Midwest
Temps are dropping here and just did my first cleaning since January 2022 using the sooteater. I'm getting antsy for that first fire. Went in through the stove and started at the top and worked my way down. This is my first time cleaning the flue myself. First time was through a company. Does this look like too much soot? I think I have good burns but unfortunately in the warmer months (Oct-Nov and Mar-Apr) when temps are in the 20-40s I'm doing a lot of cold starts. There's about 2, maybe 3 cups of soot. For reference I have a PE Super Classic. Thanks for any insight.

20230911_130642.jpg

It looks like brownish Coffey ground like material, which is good. For a season and a half that’s looking pretty good. How tall is the chimney?