Flue Collar to Appliance Adapter attachment

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CK1

Jul 19, 2012
I'm about to install a new wood burning stove myself but have 1 last question. I bought a liner kit and it came with an appliance connector/adapter to connect from the pipe to the flue collar on the wood stove.

1) When I connect the appliance connector to the flue collar should I also seal around it with any furnace cement? It doens't call for this in either the instructions of the liner or the manufacture (hearthstone) but a few installers I talked to seemed to do this occasionally. Is there any need to do any additional sealing?

2) To me it seems much easier to attach the appliance connecter 1st to the flue collar using 3 screws, then put the stove in the fireplace, then with the liner already most of the way lowered just attach to the appliance connector to the liner (because the appliance connector is held together by a metal clamp to the liner). Otherwise, if I already have the appliance connector attached to the liner by the metal clamp, then I have to drill the 3 screws into place in a tight fitting fireplace to attach it to the flue collar. What are your opinons on this?

Thanks!

No problem with using furnace cement if there are gaps to fill around the collar or with your approach in #2 if it makes life a lot easier. Just be sure the liner is firmly seated and clamped in the adapter.

So long as the system draws well, there will never be any smoke/flue gas leakage into the living space out of small gaps in the flue piping joints...rather, the physics of what's happening inside that flue/chimney structure will result in air being drawn into the piping. Put the whole thing together in the most convenient way, then if there are gaps easily accessible that you'd like to close up, squish some furnace cement into them. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.