Flue Damper on Energy King Legacy 2150

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't understand how there can be such a nice fire in there and the stove top and up the flue registers 275 until it starts to cool. There is not a huge fire I have the air down all the way there is a nice bed of coals and a flame in the back. Looks like the wood is just burning at 275 I guess....

I just don't understand how there can be such a nice fire in there and the stove top and up the flue registers 275 until it starts to cool. There is not a huge fire I have the air down all the way there is a nice bed of coals and a flame in the back. Looks like the wood is just burning at 275 I guess....

Is that nice fire with the air all the way open? Then you have a lot of room air going through the stove and up the chimney. Most of the heat is going with it. Plus, yellow flames are actually a "cool" fire. A really hot one, which you will get with dry wood and a secondary burn in the top of the firebox, has blue flames.

No I have the air closed. I have seen nice secondary burn fires ... I can tell because of the color of the flame. Maybe I am learning and getting the hang of it more. I guess I am afraid and didn't have enough wood in it. Someone said earlier less loads more wood longer burns ... I was getting ready for bed and loading and I got the temps up. It really seems to take a few hours to fire the stove up to temp enough to be able to load like that. Probably that is the piece that has to do with the moisture in the wood....more babying to get the wood to burn and not shoot me in the foot. I'm looking forward to having more time to watch the fire and what it does and learn to load this particular stove better with the wood I have. I'm just wondering how cold I'm going to be when the temps are 0 with a -30 wind chill out there.

How much wood can I safely load into the stove at once? As long as some air can flow through there I can load it right up right? If I have to get a sledge out to jam in that last piece of wood it's probably too much eh? I think that is what has been slowing me down better safe than sorry I guess. I know if I have that much wood in there the damn coal bed is going to be freakish but I am either not home or sleeping....

Thanks a lot for the help everyone. Great input here and a very well moderated board. I'll be back tomorrow to try again....I got more tools now too! This IR meter is a damn sweet thing. I saw one on holmes on holmes a couple years ago they were using to tighen up HVAC ducting....today it's only $20 away! While I was there I saw a personal mini camera you can stick in your wall to see what kind of cabling is in there or down into a hole to see what's there....I have been thinking of making one of those to run through the pipes for years!

Peace everyone ....

http://www.cyberlearner.com/VideoLessons/fire.mp4

Ok I am just miffed why my living room is cold when it has a nice fire in it. The air is all the way down I see a very nice controlled burn. Sorry the video is sideways what's on the right is actually the bottom of the stove rich with hot coals. The top of the stove temp is running 325 - 350 and the flue between 200 & 250. This is all right and correct isn't it? Hey, I have used a woodstove before where is my heat???? I can feel some when I stand right next to the stove but I need my room to be toasty warm LOL ...

do a load with all small / medium splits, load the stove up to where the fire brick stops and the bare steel is seen in the fire box, if your burning sub par wood your going to want to keep you split small, your stove top temps should be in the 600 deg range, once it gets hot, turn your blower on low.

http://www.cyberlearner.com/VideoLessons/fire.mp4

Ok I am just miffed why my living room is cold when it has a nice fire in it. The air is all the way down I see a very nice controlled burn. Sorry the video is sideways what's on the right is actually the bottom of the stove rich with hot coals. The top of the stove temp is running 325 - 350 and the flue between 200 & 250. This is all right and correct isn't it? Hey, I have used a woodstove before where is my heat???? I can feel some when I stand right next to the stove but I need my room to be toasty warm LOL ...
It is running about 200F too cool. Give it a bit more air. With partially seasoned wood that will help. Mix in some construction cutoff too.

Did you say how tall the chimney system is from stove to chimney cap?

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the help.

It is so funny that my thermostat is about 8' from the stove and reads 66. I turned it up to 74 so the furnace would come on and warm the house LOL!

I'm done with this for a couple days my kids are here no sense in messing with it they are not going to be cold because I am stubborn LOL.

I will come back on Sunday/Monday and document all the specs and what nots so we can have a serious discussion.

I need to get a hold of some well seasoned wood to see how that fires in the stove. Everything looks right my guess is the internal moisture of the wood is way too high so it is burning at the outside and steaming off the inside so it will eventually burn....but the whole process looks pretty but kills the objective.

I do feel kinda screwed in more ways than one. Like it's going to take three years to get good wood so I should purchase 50 cord. I'm ok just having some esthetic this year I knew that going in real burning was unlikely considering how late I got started. The snow is almost here I have 6 cords of this wood in my driveway and 4 more coming after xmas. Not sure if I should even screw around with it or just leave it under tarps until spring then stack it and wait two years to burn it LOL. I'm glad I got going with this and understand it's a process...I just don't see myself standing outside splitting wood splits all winter so I can struggle to keep my stove hot enough we don't freeze. This isn't my first week on the frozen tundra I still have the gas company to keep us warm. I never have the heat up above 64 when the girls aren't here and I burn kerosene in the kitchen through the winter to keep warm. I also have some new windows with a lot of surface area in my living room they say they are very good but chit it's cold over there they are still windows LOL.

I will work on the project and show you guys what I have done...hell no one else gives a crap maybe you will appreciate what I am trying to set up here.

2 year aging is usually sufficient and you are unlikely to go through more that 4 cords a year. If you can get some ash, soft maple, birch, that will be ready in a year if you get it split and stacked now. Save the oak and hickory for the 2 yr pile.

How tall is the flue system on this stove?

jeepers that is good news. That means if I get 12 cords and start cutting and splitting in the spring myself I should be in good shape for the years down the road. Of course, I am counting on the guy who gives me the wood to be actually giving me face cords ... oh yes do you mean 4 full cords or face cords per year?

It looks like there might be 16' of 8' above my stove I'd say 6 - 8 of that outside the house....then about 8' to the stove in 6" with two 45 degree bends....this is all just a rough estimate I'll figure the numbers out tomorrow or the next day.

On a good note...I walked by the stove this morning and actually felt a little heat. That is a good sign! Maybe I can find some well seasoned wood somewhere but I doubt it.

Yes, full cords. Did you check on getting some kiln dried wood for this winter?

It looks like each of the double walled 8" chimney pieces is 30" and there is 5 so 150" of chimney. About 60" outside and the rest through the attic. Attached is what's down below.

I saw the stovetop temp reach 400 today. It's warmer here by quite a lot ... in the 20s when I was on this thread before and windy .... today in the 40s with little wind.

The chimney itself is not exactly straight up and down I did notice that....it's at a little angle is that causing a big problem where the wind is getting back in????

Attachments

• 20141225_223214[1].jpg
    20141225_223214[1].jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 752
I should also mention there is a metal bar that runs north south through the center of the stove that is currently not attached. The previous owner said he ran the stove without it. I am running it without it because I don't weld...yet. I am not really sure what this bar is or it's purpose. Quite honestly, I put the stove in and fired it up because I wanted to gain knowledge...now I think I'm ready for more knowledge. Right now I have a little knowledge and you know what they say about a little knowledge right? This clearly is not my field :D

Status
Not open for further replies.