Flue Damper question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KYrob

Jan 8, 2010
KY
I have been noticing that the flames in my insert are going up and over the baffle very fast even when I have the primary air almost completely closed. I am wondering if I should, or even need to, put a damper in my flue above my insert so I could shut the draw down a bit. I get a lot of heat from the stove but can't help but wonder how much heat I am losing up the chimney. The stove wasn't designed to be used with a flue damper that I am aware of. If I close the primary air completely, the flames will eventually die down but if left open very much, it goes up and out. This chimney draws like crazy as I can open the primary air all the way and feel the air being pulled towards the stove at floor level, even without a fire going. Is this good, bad, normal? Anyway, let's hear your opinions and ideas if you don't mind.

Thanks,
Rob

You stated that your fire will eventually die back if you close the primary air all the way. To my mind that means you do not need a damper you just need to close your air supply sooner.
I'm thinking you just need to get to know your stove better. If you are getting overnight burns then all is ok.
Try shutting the air down sooner if it seems to be getting to hot. The recommendation to char all the splits before closing air is not written in stone. When it's cold up here I will not even open the air before loading as the draft increases so much with temps that I simply open door add wood and close door without any smoke in house.

I agree with snowtime.

the damper will not keep more heat in the stove. All it will do is reduce your draft. This is only helpful if you have an overdraft situation which would be recognized if you had exceedingly high stove top surfaces or very short burn times.

pen

snowtime said:
The recommendation to char all the splits before closing air is not written in stone. When it's cold up here I will not even open the air before loading as the draft increases so much with temps that I simply open door add wood and close door without any smoke in house.

Yep.

Thanks for the replies guys. I can load the stove and have enough hot coals 8 - 10 hours later to be able to toss in some more splits and it will take off again with no problem. Have no problem with keeping the house heated but was curious if it would help or not.

Thanks,
Rob

KYrob said:
Thanks for the replies guys. I can load the stove and have enough hot coals 8 - 10 hours later to be able to toss in some more splits and it will take off again with no problem. Have no problem with keeping the house heated but was curious if it would help or not.

Thanks,
Rob

I think you answered your own question . . . sounds like things are running perfectly well without a damper . . . and you can't really complain about the burn time.

Status
Not open for further replies.