flue damper ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lethal dose

Jan 10, 2011
eastern ohio
ok, i have a us stove company 1100. WAS going to go single wall inside with a heat shield but decided to go double wall dvl instead. maybe i'm missing it somewhere but do i HAVE to have a flue damper? my local dealer sold me a stove adapter, telescoping vertical rise, 90 degree and 24 inch horizontal run. no flue damper. he doesn't sell us stoves but said that newer stoves don't need a damper. true? thanks.

not sure if they NEED one, i don't seem to recall one mentioned in the manual in the installation. However, I have one on each of my single wall stove pipes, coming out of the stoves to double wall thimbul. I like the extra burn control it gives. Plus, its an added safety factor as you can shut down the fire more in case of a problem. Not sure why your dealer sold you double wall coming out of the stove. Single wall gives extra heat. You don't need double wall till you get ready to go through the wall/cealing.
jmho

cass

Most likely not. Unless your stove is drafting to much. You will know if you can't control your fire. A Dealer told me the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.