1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. laynes69

laynes69 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ashland OH
    My baffle in my firebox is a good size in my wood furnace. I have never had this answer by anyone I know. Do flames ever make any contact with the flue pipe? And Secondly how far can a flame travel in a wood furnace, or wood stove. Sometimes I worry that the flames will reach my flue, but I dont know whether this can happen or not. Hopefully I asked this right.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. biggins08

biggins08 New Member

Loc:
    Springfield MA
    I would say that there is a pretty good chance flames get into the pipe when you have the damper open. I cannot be sure without knowing your setup, but my stove does have flames that go up the flue when the damper is open.
  3. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Flames can often make it up into the pipe, but more efficiency is likely if they do not on a regular basis. Flames going up = heat going up.
  4. laynes69

laynes69 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ashland OH
    Thats about what I was thinking. I damper it enough to keep flames under the baffle. So they dance under there before burning up and into the chimney. Just wasnt sure how far a flame could travel in a wood stove, or furnace. I know some of the newer EPA Stoves have fairly complex burn chambers. I would assume that for every bend the flames travel in, this lowers the length of the flame till its burnt up and out the flue.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.