Flue & Flames

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

laynes69

Minister of Fire
Oct 2, 2006
Ashland OH
My baffle in my firebox is a good size in my wood furnace. I have never had this answer by anyone I know. Do flames ever make any contact with the flue pipe? And Secondly how far can a flame travel in a wood furnace, or wood stove. Sometimes I worry that the flames will reach my flue, but I dont know whether this can happen or not. Hopefully I asked this right.

I would say that there is a pretty good chance flames get into the pipe when you have the damper open. I cannot be sure without knowing your setup, but my stove does have flames that go up the flue when the damper is open.

Thats about what I was thinking. I damper it enough to keep flames under the baffle. So they dance under there before burning up and into the chimney. Just wasnt sure how far a flame could travel in a wood stove, or furnace. I know some of the newer EPA Stoves have fairly complex burn chambers. I would assume that for every bend the flames travel in, this lowers the length of the flame till its burnt up and out the flue.

Status
Not open for further replies.