Flue Gaskets: Are They Designed to be "Permanent"?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

slor

Oct 26, 2022
Portland, OR
I recently purchased a house with an Enviro Kodiak 1700 and it appears there's some carbon monoxide or other burn by-products leaking into the house. I'm already planning on replacing the door gasket, and I'm wondering if the flue gasket--the only other gasket I see listed--is also supposed to be replaced on a regular basis.

Other suspects: I don't know when the chimney and cap were last cleaned, but definitely want to inspect those.

And finally, the 4" intake in the back of the stove doesn't really attach to the flimsy-looking flange there. I'd like to seal it permanently, but thinking foil tape will have to do.

Any other ideas?

Many thanks!

I recently purchased a house with an Enviro Kodiak 1700 and it appears there's some carbon monoxide or other burn by-products leaking into the house. I'm already planning on replacing the door gasket, and I'm wondering if the flue gasket--the only other gasket I see listed--is also supposed to be replaced on a regular basis.

Other suspects: I don't know when the chimney and cap were last cleaned, but definitely want to inspect those.

And finally, the 4" intake in the back of the stove doesn't really attach to the flimsy-looking flange there. I'd like to seal it permanently, but thinking foil tape will have to do.

Any other ideas?

Many thanks!
Are you burning the stove and running it through a chimney without doing any sort of inspection of it?

That's first priority. Don't burn before having it cleaned and inspected. What is the setup? basement, 1st floor? How is the stove connected to the chimney? Is the chimney 6" stainless class A pipe or a larger clay flue?

Depending on the setup this issue could be exacerbated by mild outside temps. That will be changing soon.

That's first priority. Don't burn before having it cleaned and inspected. What is the setup? basement, 1st floor? How is the stove connected to the chimney? Is the chimney 6" round or a larger pipe or clay flue?

Depending on the setup this issue could be exacerbated by mild outside temps. That will be changing soon.
Thanks, it's first floor (no basement) and what appears to be a 6" round exhaust that penetrates up through the second floor and roof. As I just responded to @bholler, the stove and flue were inspected during the purchase process, but the flue part of the report is cursory.

The stove and flue were inspected during the purchase, and I've run a couple of careful test fires since then.
Inspected by a chimney professional or a standard home inspector?

No, a standard home inspector. That's why I'm giving the system a closer look.
Honestly in that case the inspection really means nothing

Reactions: Beary
Where is this flue gasket located on your stove or flue system? Is there one at the flue collar? The 1700 doesn't have one to my recollection.

Right. Hence my question, and wanting to have all my ducks in a row when the flue IS properly inspected: Is the flue gasket meant to be replaced on a regular basis?
I have no idea. Where is the gasket?

Where is this flue gasket located on your stove or flue system? Is there one at the flue collar? The 1700 doesn't have one to my recollection.
Thanks @begreen and @beholler. According to the diagram, it's just above the firebox and underneath the flue collar and vent.

1700.jpg