flue height

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kent

Aug 8, 2012
northern Minnesota
Well, we've settled on the PE Super 7. Phew, glad that process is over with. Thanks for all the input here. It was very helpful. Now we need to figure out the chimney height for a DIY install.

We're aware of the 2' above the highest point within 10'.
Here's what we're looking at:
4/12 roof pitch
corner install against outside wall
floor to roof peak height is just shy of 12'
roof edge to peak is just over 12'

Based on this, how much class A stainless would you say I need?

Any more info needed?

Thanks!

Well, we've settled on the PE Super 7. Phew, glad that process is over with. Thanks for all the input here. It was very helpful. Now we need to figure out the chimney height for a DIY install.

We're aware of the 2' above the highest point within 10'.
Here's what we're looking at:
4/12 roof pitch
corner install against outside wall
floor to roof peak height is just shy of 12'
roof edge to peak is just over 12'

Based on this, how much class A stainless would you say I need?

Any more info needed?

Thanks!

Woodlanddirect.com or Bruce from woodheatstoves.com

These guys will walk you through an order. That's all I do to get the chimney sizing.

Is this going to be a straight up interior installation or an exterior chimney install? Exterior will be more costly and will require 2 90º turns which will effectively decrease the chimney height by ~6 ft.

Straight up. Hey, I found a great resource to help figure it out. chimney configurator - http://www.icc-rsf.com/en/icc/chimney-configurator

It answered the main question for me.

Another question related to the chimney install, besides the support box that runs through the ceiling, should I be considering anything between that box and the roof hole besides the ASHT pipe?

That doesn't determine the amount of pipe needed. You need to input the height.

What's the height of the interior ceiling where the chimney support box will be located? Besides the 10-3-2 rule you'll want enough flue for a decent draft. If it's say 9', I think you'll want to have at least 8ft of class A, for an 18" support box. Be sure to order a roof brace too.

There usually is an adapter for the transition from bottom of the support box to the connector pipe. And some stoves require an appliance adapter. It depends on the stove, connector type (single or double wall), and pipe brand.

Reactions: PapaDave
Status
Not open for further replies.