Flue install - stove to wall thimble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tvm2299

Aug 10, 2014
ON,CA
I'm replacing the stove and single wall flue in my basement with a new epa non-cat stove and Selkirk double wall pipe to the existing wall thimble and stainless chimney.

I bought a 24" section, a 90, and a 12-18" adjustable section. The stove is a couple inches taller than the old one so this puts me about 2" too high to hit the thimble. I'd like to replace the 24" with another 12-18" adjustable section and a 6" piece.

Is this allowed? I still end up with 24 1/2 inches before the actual bend in the 90 starts but will have about 22" of vertical pipe out of the stove. Everything I've read says 24" minimum but I don't know if that's a hard rule or just best practice.

Thanks.

Yes, it's allowable. Make sure the horiz section is sloping uphill toward the thimble by at least 1/4" per ft. Do you need an adapter for the flue collar? If so, that might replace the 6" starter.

Reactions: Owen1508
Yes, was planning on doing the slope. Not sure if i need the adapter. Its a timberwolf 2100, the collar on the stove fits right between the inner and outer of the double wall pipe pretty well.

That's cool. Some stoves need them and others don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.