Flue Installed Heat Savers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soupy1957

Minister of Fire
Jan 8, 2010
Connecticut
www.youtube.com
I suppose some of you use them, but I'm just thinking about them now.........

Saw a couple of different versions, but this one caught my eye. Not sure how practical it is, and if I need a damper above it or not, but...........

Your thoughts about its value, ease of installation, overall worth in the long run?

Attachments

• magic.jpg
    magic.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 593
I used one years ago. worked good for me. very easy to install & use . no elbows above it, and definatley no dampers ! seasoned wood only. used proper will move alot of heat. pull the little pipe cleaner back and forth couple times a day to keep it clean. set on auto & let er rip. as far as value, i used mine for 5 seasons and it still worked fine. think i sold it for half of original price. Happy & safe heating.

Larry

Aw, Soupy, you bring back (assorted) memories of Pook mentioning this.......~~~~~~~ :roll:

In a short answer, the list consensus has been they are a creosote factory, designed before the current air tight EPA stoves. They further lower the stack temps which the current EPA stoves are already designed to do. Too cool a stack causes creosote as we all know.

To each his own though.........

Maybe on a older non EPA stove but yea Shari where is Pook when you need him? :lol:

Somebody brought up that "Pook" fella at the Hearth shindig.....
He is like a legend or something....

GAMMA RAY said:

or something.

pen

pen said:
GAMMA RAY said:

or something.

pen

"or something" . . . couldn't agree more . . . I'm still fighting the Pook stigma and trying to prove that not all folks from Maine are maniacs.

As for the original question . . . I think this question has been answered many a time and the general consensus for all but maybe three members is that on the older stoves they may have had a place, but on the newer EPA stoves they are not all that great . . .

Me . . . I get all the heat I need by heating up my woodstove . . . not heating up my stove pipe.

Maybe I should consider myself lucky to not having known "Pook?"

-Soupy1957

soupy1957 said:
Maybe I should consider myself lucky to not having known "Pook?"

-Soupy1957

and for not trying a "magic heat" IMO.

pen

Just put Magic Heat into the forum search function and read to your heart's content. Rick

Without forced draft, you rely on stack temp for stove draft.

With an EPA stove, stack temp is substantially lower than with smoke dragon.

Drop that temp, and where's your draft?
Prof. Richard Hill (UMe Orono) devised various heating systems which had exhaust temp about ambient, but he used forced draft for hot, clean fire. (Like for federal buildings, Audubon Center.)

If reading the instruction manual about what all you need to do if the electricity goes off doesn't discourage you, figuring out how you plan ahead to be home when the power fails will.

I'm feeling nostalgic seeing that old Magic Heat. When I was a kid we burned wood. This started in the 3rd grade. We burned wood exclusively all through my school years. Mom and dad still do it as their primary heat source. Well, during those years, my dad brought home a Magic Heat. He was always scrounging up something or other. So he hooked it up for a test in the house. It worked but he ended up taking it out of the house and putting it in his garage.

Later in my early 20's, I worked for a log home company pealing logs, etc. We had a cheap cast iron stove and a Magic Heat. That thing could really heat up the place. Those were the days.

Somebody is under the bridge, an it ain't a dwarf.

Attachments

• troll.jpg
    troll.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 289
Where'd you get that drawing, BeGreen? Kinda neat!

-Soupy1957

I saw one on Craig's List the other day. I was gonna post it here for fun but decided not to.

Flatbedford said:
I saw one on Craig's List the other day. I was gonna post it here for fun but decided not to.

You might notify "Pook" on stovenet dot com. I'm sure he'll not appreciate the joke. :lol:

That is his place? I was new here when that started. Didn't make the connection.

A friend of mine has one on his stove. I just saw it yesterday for the first time. It puts out a lot of heat and he likes it, but I don't like the idea of deviating from a stove's original design. Should there be any problems in the future, I would be afraid of my insurance company using it against me.
Now that I saw it mentioned in this thread, it makes sense that running the stove gases in front of a fan would cause it to cool and build up excessive creosote.

That's what seems to be the prevailing theme of many of the responses...........another place for creosote creation.

-Soupy1957

I had the square type with no cleaning scraper.
It was fairly restrictive new. They it makes creasote and gets very restrictive quickly.
I had it on my EPA stove and took it out. Any heat gain was probably lost because the stove wasn't drafting correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.