Flue length

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

G Archer

Aug 7, 2008
Middle Georgia
I installed a Fisher Papa bear stove in my shop this weekend, it has a 8''outlet out the back.I made an 6'' adapter to use 6'' stainless steel pipe(it was available cheap). The flue is above the ridge on the building about a foot.The heater does draw but not very well.How much needs to be added to the flue to correct the problem.Is there a rule of thumb for calculating flue height? The flue height now is 16 Ft. Thanks for ant help,

Glenn

AFAIK it is against code to reduce an 8 inch stove to a 6 inch flue. That said, do you have any elbows in the path? Every elbow needs to be compensated by addtional height. 16 feet is marginal for most stoves. I don't know what a Papa Bear requires. The rule for height is a minimum 3 feet beyond the roof and 2 feet higher than anything within 10 feet.

So, is the entire flue run singlewall uninsulated pipe? How much of it is in unheated space?

The bad news is the stove may continue to draw like poop because it's choked down. This will get worse as the outdoor temps get milder. The good news is that you are set up for an 6" stove that will use a lot less wood. Watch for sales at your big box stores on Englander/Summer's Heat/Timberline or a Century starting around February.

The stove might or might not perform with the 8" to 6" reduction. In any case, it's not ideal. To be properly installed, the pipe needs to transition from stovepipe (connector pipe, either single or double wall), to Class A chimney pipe at the roof penetration (I'm assuming there is no sencd floor or attic to contend with). That means a ceiling support box anchored to the structure to support the weight of the chimney pipe from the ceiling up. The chimney daylight termination needs to be at least 3' above the point at which it penetrates the roof, and then (if required) further up to be at least 2' above any part of the structure within 10' horizontally. If any of that doesn't make sense to you, let us know, and we'll try to describe it in such a way that will. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.