Flue Liner and Stove Pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While i agree that code are a minimum and we regularly exceed them the minimum thickness of a connector pipe is 24 gauge. I would agree that stainless would be better but it still needs to meet that minimum thickness. As far as 304 versus 400 series. all of the commercially available stainless connector pipes are 400 series and they last a long time i see absolutely no problem with it and they will last much longer than that light wall liner which can and will eventually burn through. Also there is nothing in any code allowing for a flexible connector pipe it simply is not there and his claim that is will flow better is just wrong the corrugated pipe reduces flow more that a couple low angle elbows with smooth pipe would. The projection past the wall is a requirement of the liner manufacturer and any i have worked with require 1.5" I don't know what brand he used but I have never come across one that required less than that. And following manufacturers instructions is a code requirement

Thanks so much for your insight. Now only if you made visits to south central Ohio. I'd be set.

Reactions: bholler
The 24 gauge requirement was arrived at for steel pipe or galvanized pipe which is allowed
I don't think galvanized is allowed as a stove pipe on a wood furnace...could be wrong
Stainless steel connector pipe is tested to 2100°. Galvanized steel pipe cannot withstand these temperatures repeatedly
Or at all, bad things start to happen to galvanized steel at 660* IIRC, regular duty is under 400*. Not so sure about this guy.
Best install would be regular ole stainless stove pipe, one n done. I agree with bholler, only need 1 90* elbow

Reactions: rawfdawg
I don't think galvanized is allowed as a stove pipe on a wood furnace...could be wrong
you are correct no galvanized it should be black or stainless 24 g or thicker

Reactions: rawfdawg
Status
Not open for further replies.