Flue liner for an insert - yes or no ???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lecomte38

Feeling the Heat
Jun 6, 2008
Central Mass
I'll be installing a Harman Accentra insert in my fireplace, 8" x 12" tile lined flue, tiles are in good shape, single story ranch- 18'. Installation book says to extend the flex pipe 12" beyond the damper and the local building inspector says to follow stove instructions. However, the stove shop says to run a flex pipe (for only $480) the whole way to meet NFPA codes and for better draft.
The search found 1 hit agreeing with the full length/draft saying there isn't enough heat to warm up a 8 x 12 tile flue.

A newbie would appreciate your input.

I would highly suggest adhering to the Stove Shop's recommendations. 12" rise above the damper will be sufficient to operate, but a complete re-line will ensure proper venting of the Unit.

Just one of the good reasons for the full liner is to have enough natural draft, in case of the stove going out due to power failure, component failure or whatever, to keep the stove from smoking up your house. The natural draft will pull the smoke up the chimney instead of it coming out into your house.

lecomte38 said:
I'll be installing a Harman Accentra insert in my fireplace, 8" x 12" tile lined flue, tiles are in good shape, single story ranch- 18'. Installation book says to extend the flex pipe 12" beyond the damper and the local building inspector says to follow stove instructions. However, the stove shop says to run a flex pipe (for only $480) the whole way to meet NFPA codes and for better draft.
The search found 1 hit agreeing with the full length/draft saying there isn't enough heat to warm up a 8 x 12 tile flue.

A newbie would appreciate your input.

I have a split level ranch pretty much the same 18' length and I ran the SS flex all the way out and capped it. I also wrapped the felx with foil faced ceramic insulation. You can get full kits off Ebay for a lot less than $480.

Another vote for full liner. We went this route and are not sorry.
It makes for a neat/clean install.

Status
Not open for further replies.