Flue liner hole

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic99

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2006
MA, Suburb of Lowell
Developed a small hole where my T pipe from the stove connects with a flex liner. It's not hard to get to it. Figured I'd just attach a metal tape that's rated for high heat. 3M had a flue tape tape rated to 600 F that was not for use with wood stoves.

Any advice on what I should use?

If the hole is larger than a finger I would take some liner scrap and make a patch larger than the hole. Gently predrill the corners, lather up the hole with stove cement, then apply the patch and use stainless pop rivets to keep it in place.

Another way is to lather the hole with furnace cement and then screw a very short stainless steel screw into the hole. The brush will pass right by a screw like it isn't there. However you do it, wet the surface of the liner before applying the furnace cement and then cure it with a small newspaper fire or cardboard fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.