Flue (pipe) damper with Progress Hybrid?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nimrod1911

Nov 13, 2012
My Progress arrived and I have it all set up except for the pipe. Turns out that I need an other 45 degree piece to make it fit. But I was wondering if I should install a damper. I've always had one with my older stoves....and they needed one. I figured that it would provide me one more tool to control my fire. I saw some threads talking about it buy not many relating specifically to the Progress Hybrid. What say ye?

Also, any last minute tips before I fire it up for the first time? (unfortunately it is getting warm here, but we may see one more cold night......I'm hoping) :)

You can if you wish. Do you need it? I highly doubt it. There is good control with the Progress and unless you have a super big draft, I would not worry. We too used to always have a damper with our older stoves but chose to not put one in with the Fireview. I'm glad we didn't because it is one less thing to be concerned with when it comes to cleaning time.

Last minutes tips? Yes, I have 2.

1. If you haven't yet, get lots of wood on hand. Get it split as quickly as possible. Stack it outside where it will get lots of wind. If you buy your wood, get it immediately! They will tell you it is seasoned; pay no attention to it. You'll find that over 90% of all wood stove related problems can be traced back to the wood.

2. Burn in fires. We recommend 3 burn-in fires and Woodstock approves.

a. First fire just put in a few sticks of kindling wood. Light the fire and then just let it burn out.

b. Second fire, use kindling but add a small split or two at most. Light the fire and then just let it burn out.

c. Third fire. Use kindling and add 3 splits. Get the stove top temperature up to at least 450.

d. Enjoy! All is well at this point.

Congratulations on the new stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.