flue pipe question?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dookits13

Dec 6, 2007
NE Ohio
hi everyone , this site has been so helpful!!!!!! what is the clearance from ceiling to flue pipe??? i know that there should be more rise than run in the flue , but with my set up i can only get so close to the chimney making it hard to get the flue to pitch properly, unless i can go closer to the ceiling . right now i have 24 in. of clearance and my flue rises 28 in. and runs 40 in. into the inside of the chimney? i know that when i bought this house the sellers stated that this chimney did not draft well . ( by the way its a furnace located in the basement ) so i want to" help" the chimney as much as possible .. any ideas or is this pitch sufficient. the furnace seems to be drafting just well enough to be working , however my yard is a smoke screen , if i get the fire real hot then it does better but then i fly through wood. i plan on addressing the lining as well as height of chimney this spring , if these are the problems??? in the mean time its keeping us warm enough to survive .. first year burning wood and im loving it .. still experimenting and trying to learn as much as possible!!!! any help or ideas greeatly appreciated!!!!!!! thanks joe

What kind of pipe? Single wall? Double? Class A? What kind of furnace is it? Is it UL Listed? Sometimes stove have special ceiling clearances listed that are greater than the flue pipe itself, possibly some furnaces do also.

If you want to get more height in the system you should replace that with single wall with double wall, it allows closer clearances. Someone else will know the single wall clearances off hand, I don't feel like looking it up right now.

What does the manual say? I thought it was 18" clearance, but don't hold me to it. If you can post a couple photos of the furnace and flue we might be of greater assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.