Flue Pipe Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

titanracer

Feeling the Heat
Nov 10, 2011
South Central PA., Newville
When I installed my flue several years ago for my stove, I bought the whole kit, wall thimble, clean-out tee, 5 sections of pipe, & termination cap/hood. It took me 1 section out, tee, 3 sections up, 90 degree bend, 1 section straight out, & then termination hood. Normal flue installation kit. My question here is, can I go straight out with 2 sections & then apply end termination hood or is there a standard procedure you must go up in the air some that makes stove run better, before terminating. Straight out, my termination hood would be about 4 feet high off ground. Other then maybe township/state codes, will there be any performance issues by not adding tee & going up some. I have no close neighbors, within seeing distance, that it would affect. I think snow could be a issue if it gets 4 feet high, but that isn't a issue here this year. Other than stove performance, would it cause the stove to have bad performance. I would think better performance, you would not have that much length of pipe.

The question is, why would you want to change it? Englander specifically states that there must be at least 3-4' of vertical for the stove to perform the best.

If its for the Englander stove in your Signature? Then you must have at least a 3' rise (vertical). Englander deems it necessary.

So.. No. You cant go straight out.

You can, but it wont be installed correctly.

DexterDay said:
If its for the Englander stove in your Signature? Then you must have at least a 3' rise (vertical). Englander deems it necessary.

So.. No. You cant go straight out.

You can, but it wont be installed correctly.

Thanks for all the replies & yes it is for the stove in my signature. I was just really wondering if it was possible. You never know, for some reason other than laziness, I might have wanted to try it. But, since Englander, does specify that, I will always make sure I have a Tee & extend it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.