Flue Removal or Alternatives

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FandM

Sep 6, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
We live in a 35 year old condo which has 27 Units arranged as 9 stacks with 3 units in a stack. Each unit has a fireplace. The 3 fireplaces in a stack share a common flue. The flues are damaged and so the fireplaces can't be used.

We would like to close off the existing flue so the existing fireplaces can't be used and put in gas or wood burning fireplace inserts in every unit. However, we have been told that our insurance company requires that the existing flue be totally removed. This by people who have pushed for replacing the flues, a long, messy and costly job.

We would like to know if total removal is really a requirement for getting insurance or is shutting off the existing flues really satisfactory.

Is there some alternative that could be done, for example at each fireplace, that might well satisfy the fire safety requirements of the insurance company

If total removal is required, then how can we best remove the existing flue?

What type of fireplaces are they? what type of flue? What do you mean they all share a flue? If you are planning on putting inserts in them you will need a liner for each insert. We need more details if we are going to help

What type of fireplaces are they? what type of flue? What do you mean they all share a flue? If you are planning on putting inserts in them you will need a liner for each insert. We need more details if we are going to help

The first and the second floor level fireplace chimneys travel within their own one-

hour enclosure up to the third floor ceiling level. At this point the individual

enclosures open up to a common one-hour enclosure that includes all three fireplace

chimneys. The one-hour enclosures for the first and second floor fireplace chimneys

should have continued to the top of the chase structure (fourth floor ceiling level).

(I assume the third floor one-hour enclosure does the same.)

You need to post pictures i dont really follow i am sorry

If I had to guess your insurance carrier is concerned about whether or not the existing flue arrangement meets current building codes. Flue sharing is risky business.

I hate to tell you this, however, whatever you learn on the internet regarding this topic isn't going change your insurance companies mind. Either start shopping insurance companies and find someone that will accept your plan for the flues or accept that you're going to have to comply with your current insurance companies requirements if you want to maintain/obtain coverage from them.

Reactions: bholler
Status
Not open for further replies.