Flue size and retrofit question????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

croghanite

Dec 24, 2009
SC
Is a 6" stovepipe feeding through a thimble into a 8x8 masonry clay lined chimney ok? From the stove, the 6" pipe is about 3' long to a 90 degree elbow which goes 3' through the thimble into the clay lined chimney. From the thimble, the Chimney goes up about 8' and the masonry is outside.

If you had this set up, what would you do with it? What I mean is would you line it or just leave it as is?

BTW. I burn with an Oslo that draws air from the crawl space.

It depends on the chimney height, liner size and condition. If the chimney was shortish and had a larger liner or it was old or entirely unlined then definitely yes. How has the draft been on the stove with the current setup on the Oslo? Is the connector sealed tightly so that there's no air leakage (including at the cleanout door)?

The draft has been pretty good. The chimney height is 8' to 10' tall FROM the point that the thimble enters into it. The chimneys overall height from the ground is 15' - 20' tall. the clay liner looked brand new. Its a "block chimney" type if you know what I mean.

There is no clean out door... hahahhaahaaha!!! seriously. I either have to cut one in or drop a vaccume down the chimney after cleaning it... I could do nothing and let the creasote fall to the bottom after scraping it. It would take like 80 years to fill up the chimney to where the thimble comes through the wall. hahahahah ahahahahahahahhahaha!!!!

croghanite said:
The draft has been pretty good. The chimney height is 8' to 10' tall FROM the point that the thimble enters into it. The chimneys overall height from the ground is 15' - 20' tall. the clay liner looked brand new. Its a "block chimney" type if you know what I mean.

There is no clean out door... hahahhaahaaha!!! seriously. I either have to cut one in or drop a vaccume down the chimney after cleaning it... I could do nothing and let the creasote fall to the bottom after scraping it. It would take like 80 years to fill up the chimney to where the thimble comes through the wall. hahahahah ahahahahahahahhahaha!!!!

I would not let the creasote build up in the bottom of the chimney because I had about 6 inches in the bottom of mine once and a spark must have fell in there and the dried creasote started to smolder, I just happened to find that the chimney was warm at the bottom.

Yeah, I reckon I'll have to cut out an access door or I'll have to use a vaccume.

I am considering on lining it with stainless steel but I can't relly see the best way of doing it.

Maybe come out of the stove with a 45 degree elbow, go through the wall with solid pipe at the 45 degree angle into the chimney, and then change over to flexible SS. That way I can sweep it all the way to the stove from the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.