Q&A Flue size for Lopi?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have purchased a Lopi Answer fireplace insert. The chimney sweep installing it originally told me that my chimney could handle the necessary 6 inch liner with insolation and had given me a ballpark price. Just recently, he now says he has to use a 7 inch ovalized liner, also insulated, in order to fit properly in the chimney, for about $200 more. The 7 inch would then adapt to the required 6 inch round at the stove. My flue tiles are 8-13 but he says are smaller at the top(?). Will the Lopi insert work as well or have any problems with the slightly larger cross section of the 7 inch ovalized liner? How will the draft be effected? Wouldn't a 6 wrapped liner fit in a 8x13 chimney flue?

Answer:

You will not have any problems with the oval 7" insulated...should work fine!

Some 8*13s are as small as 6" or so in the inside, so it is very possible that a wrapped 6" will not properly fit into there.

The insulated flue is definitely a better job, but many people have installed the stainless liners without insulation. Depending on your climate, chimney construction,location, etc...this arrangement might be more than sufficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.