Flue system for tall cathedral ceiling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

davem0726

Nov 9, 2009
SE Michigan
Hi, I'm new to this forum - seen lots of good stuff here.

I plan to purchase an Englander 30 wood burner. I wish to place the stove in a great room that has 18' ceiling on the side and the peak is about 24 feet at the center (30 degree slope). The stove will be set near the wall, so at that point the ceiling is about 19' tall. The installation instructions states that the single wall 6" black pipe can only go up 10', so that leaves about 19 minus 10 minus the stove height - that is about 7 ' over. What type of pipe should I use for that portion of the run? What type of pipe goes through the ceiling and to the exterior? Would it be better to vent the system out the wall and up instead? Can you recommend a place to purchase the flue system?

Thanks in advance.

You can use double wall stovepipe rather than single wall. You'll get: a longer allowed run, closer clearance to combustibles, better draft, and a much longer lifetime from the double wall than the single wall.

E.g., http://www.selkirkcorp.com/SuperVent/Product.aspx?id=58

Once you reach the ceiling, you'll install a framed-in cathedral ceiling support box. Your first run of Class A will fit down into the box, and you'll attach an adapter on the end of that Class A, which will mate to your double wall stove pipe.

See installation examples here http://www.selkirkcorp.com/flashGuide/english/supervent/supervent.swf and click on the cathedral ceiling Flash link.

^ Yup. Double wall stovepipe from stove flue collar to the ceiling support box, where you transition to Class A chimney from there to daylight. You will not be running any single wall pipe. Rick

davem0726 said:
Thanks for the info. Unfortionately there is no selkirkcorp distributer here in Michigan. Do you know of another that sells locally?

Lowe's carries the Supervent line which Selkirk makes.

Status
Not open for further replies.