Flue Temp Alarm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RegencyNS

Feb 13, 2008
Atlantic Canada
have read a few threads on flue temp alarms made with thermocouples etc. but have not read anything with exact brands and equipment websites. I read where one member purchased an IMC ??? thermocouple w/temp alarm unit but I can’t find them on the net. I can’t believe these aren’t readily available. I would love to be able to open my secondary air to start new fires, let the fire come up to temp and then here the alarm go off and know that I can go down and close up the air. This would be much better than continually checking the fire.
Does anybody have a company name or website that makes soemthing like this? Or even what components I would need to set it up.

You just made me think about the alarm I have. It is made by the now defunct Vermont Technology Group. It is called the Chimney Fire Alert. The probe goes into the stack and it has a battery operated temp gauge and variable alarm setpoint from 500-1200 deg. The alarm is like a smoke detector. I think I cornered the market on those by buying the last three on ebay. I even have one on my oil burner.

Mike

Get yourself one of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/PID-SSR-TEMPERATURE-CONTROLLER-FURNACE-KILN-OVEN-New_W0QQitemZ250315015805QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item250315015805&_trkparms=72:1205|39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14 and then set one of the dual alarm outputs to your desired temperature. Then, connect a light. buzzer, etc to the relay terminals for that alarm output. There you go.

I've seen a couple of people on this forum using a Maverick ET-73 smoker alarm . I hear that they work well. They are readily available on ebay

I ordered one of the above mentioned temperature controllers, and was wondering if anyone is using one. The wiring diagram is kind of confusion. It looks like there is a resistor between pins 8 and 10, but the manual doesn't say anything about it. Also it looks like there is supposed to be a jumper between pins 3 and 4, and again no mention in the manual. Any ideas?

Attachments

• TET612.JPG
    TET612.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 295
  • TET612_wire_diag.JPG
    TET612_wire_diag.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 290
Status
Not open for further replies.